The Shell Game

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Maxwell Smart

I Believe in the future the only thing that the Major companies will own - is going to be their names and their routes--- and subcontract out everything to -the smaller airlines- pit them against each other - and pick the cheapest one- It spreads out their risk- and will force competition for every route- and increase their profit margin while decreasing their overhead - It is already happening - Delta- (Example: ASA, COMAIR, SKYWEST, ACA, ETC) -CAL (X-jet (coex), Eagle(west coast), Horizon (Northwest)- now commutair-GIA - Cape Air -etc). Delta doesn't want to get caught being hamstrung like they were when Comair went on strike - so now they are overlapping routes - and if a strike happens - they will continue service with one of their other carriers by just increasing frequency (is that struck work - gray area??) --- It is happening in the Major arena - new seamless coedshare between Delta CAL and Northwest-- Just another Shell game--- And If you haven't noticed - CEOs are out courting Trent Lott (took over the Airline seat in Washington) - to give him guidance against the Railroad Abirtraction Act. This is not a conspiracy theory - this is really happening- And its happening right before our eyes- their are 10,000 pilots out of work - and they know that some will fly for nothing - and thats what they are counting on- MAX

Last edited:
The airline CEOs are IN FAVOR of the McCain-Lott proposition, not against it. They want "baseball style" arbitration because then there's no possibility of a strike, labor's greatest weapon.

Aside from that, I think your analysis is spot-on. ALPA says they're on this, but ALPA may be too little, too late. All of this came about because ALPA's was too distracted during the growth period of the late '90s with internal issues (like the RJ/scope battle) to prepare for the onslaught from management we are seeing. Now they have to play catch up.

I don't see much the pilot groups can do other than remember the famous post "I am an Army of One".

Certainly no expert, but I would concur with the two above posts. It is prevalent in the business world whether it be manufacturing or even services.
It is a shame, flying seems to be one of the few occupations where a person has both the chance to make a good living and actually have a job they can enjoy more so than other occupations. Seems almost criminal for a company to take advantage of a person's desire to fly (yes I realize there are people out there who sell themselves short and that hurts the rest of the group). Keep your guard up!

I'll tell you what you can do. CALL your Senators and Representatives!!!!!!!! Tell them how you feel about this bullsh!t. Also if your an ALPA member, give to the PAC. They use the money only for fighting for pilots and our profession.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back