• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The rising cost of health care.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agreed; not sure what hawker meant by this his/her post. But I wouild think a group of over 65 age flying pilots with a first class medical are a much better health risk than the rest of the population at that same age. Again we almost no history of in-flight incapation with over 65 pilots.

Reference?

What is the basis for this statement? Where is your data?

Or is this just more boomer, "Do as I say not as I do-just believe me!"?

Reference?

What is the basis for this statement? Where is your data?

Or is this just more boomer, "Do as I say not as I do-just believe me!"?

Without any reference to my data just common sense pilots of any age are probably healthier overall simply because he or she is participating in physical evaluations whereas the general population in the US(males) never see a doctor unless he is half dead. As far as obesity the US is one of three of the most obese countries in the world behind England and Mexico. The US is catching up fast because we prefer to be number one in everything.

I see no evidence that pilots are healthier than the general population. In fact, there are, many doctors that don't do a proper physical for fear of losing clients to other AME's. We hear it all the time of people with disqualifying conditions going to see doctors sometimes hundreds of miles away to get a "clean" medical.

I see no evidence that pilots are healthier than the general population. In fact, there are, many doctors that don't do a proper physical for fear of losing clients to other AME's. We hear it all the time of people with disqualifying conditions going to see doctors sometimes hundreds of miles away to get a "clean" medical.

Although you are undoubtedly correct about how some doctors behave, I disagree with your general conclusion. When pilots become less healthy, they tend to lose their medicals. Therefore pilots, by virtue of weeding out the less healthy, are certainly healthier than the general population. Also, we tend to lead healthier lifestyles because we know we have to pass a physical every 6 months or so. This is why we can get life insurance at normal rates even though we are more likely to die in an accident than a secretary, for instance. I used to be a life insurance agent, so I got my data from that experience. Cheers!

No retirement age, rising obesity, pill popping nation.

How much is employee paid healthcare? Obvously, it varries from company to company. Should we contract individually with a health insurance provider? That seems like a personal decision to me. Go for it if you think you can do better on your own. Are high risk categories in non-scheduled operations making it harder for the rest of us to bargain for reasonable health care and life insurance? Other than not having a retirement age for pilots, what in the world are you talking about? Are you suggesting scheduled air carriers don't have the same types of higher risk employees?

What will it take (another Lear that crashes in downtown LA, not Mexico?), before we finally bring about mandatory retirement? Do you have one shred of evidence indicating the advanced age of one of the pilots contributed to the crash, or are you suggesting they were obese pill poppers?

Discuss.

Hawkered,

What are you getting at? I can't follow this sentance fragment followed by these seemingly random nonsensical questions. Other than you wanting to see a retirement age for pt 91/135 pilots, do you have a point that somehow relates to group health and life insurance rates? If so, spit it out!

If we were to move toward a mandatory retirement age for part 91/135 operations why stop there? How about setting the minimum age for entering the field of aviation at 30 y/o and while we are at it, how about no males since we know this group takes more mindless risks. See how silly this sounds?

Latest resources

Back