Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JSky26

Is there one?

I'm a college senior graduating in May and looking to make the next step. My ultimate goal is NetJets.

The option to go to the regionals is always there, however I have heard that if the new TA passes, NJ will become more picky when filing through their resumes. Basically, they will be taking less regional guys and more 135/91 guys. Any truth to that?

I also may have an option at a Citation 135 job. At this point, this may seem like the more logical path to pursue. However, the schedule and upgrade time at this company has more uncertainty than any other 121 carrier. Last I heard, the guys at this company work a 14on/7off and are mostly ON the road for 13 out of those 14 days. Seems pretty rough. (7/7 schedules due appeal to me...that seems like a great medium between airline and typical corporate ops). I guess that's called paying my dues though...

The pros of the 121 carrier seem to be I can get on with a company with a quicker upgrade and more flexibility with scheduling. TPIC possibly sooner.

The cons...having 121 exp. all over my resume may not look as good in the future at NJ as it has in the past.

WWYD?

If you want to get here fast, you will log more flight time at a regional carrier. Prepare to whore yourself out. Before you go, make sure you have 1000 PIC because all of your flying at a regional will be SIC.

WWID?

Seems like you are going the civilian route. I did too.

I did what I could to improve my resume through
years of sacrifice, opportunity and hard work.

My resume looks like this...

CFI (SE PIC time)
CFIMEI (ME PIC time)
Part 91 Govt. Pilot (PIC ME Turb King Air/Conquest)
Part 135/121 Regional (SIC/PIC ME Turbine Crew BE1900)
Part 121 "Major" (SIC Large Turbine Crew A320/B737)
9/11
Part 121 Regional (SIC ME Turbine Crew DHc-8)
Part 91/91k/135 Fractional (SIC/PIC Turbine CE750/CE560)

Take jobs that your personal life allows. Work the safe ones, pass on the shady ones.

Always try to make (voluntary) UPWARD movements, not lateral or backwards with new positions. Sometimes developments in the industry make the choices for you.

Personally, 9/11 caused me to reconsider the entire 121 sector. I found that 121 flying could not afford me the money or job security I feel I need. I had been furloughed 4 times by the time I was 27. Nothing seems worth going through furlough when I was 40 something and burdened with commitments (family, debt, etc.).

PIC time (real PIC time) is always good. Turbine is good. PIC turbine is better. PIC turbine in a crew environment is better-er.

When you meet the minimum requirements, apply and update periodically to let recruitment know that you are interested.

Good luck.

Is there one?

People here have all sorts of background. The common denominator is that they met the hiring minimums. As the others have said, get the experience as best and safely as you can. Also, network as much as you can: a letter of recommendation is greatly weighted at NetJets.

The option to go to the regionals is always there, however I have heard that if the new TA passes, NJ will become more picky when filing through their resumes. Basically, they will be taking less regional guys and more 135/91 guys. Any truth to that?

I haven't heard that rumor. From talking with one of the interviewers earlier this year, it sounds like the company likes having a broad cross-section of backgrounds from regionals, military, 91/135, majors and retirees.

The 121 route would likely get you your time the quickest. Not knowing what 135 job you are talking about, you should consider how stable and viable the company is. Another consideration would be how quickly you could make it to PIC at any job you take. While PIC time isn't a stated requirement, it certainly doesn't hurt and it would help to bolster your resume.

Good luck to you.

i agree, the faster you get your time the better. most corporate departments average less than 400 hours per year. fly airlines for a few years and then re-evaluate. you can always get your corporate citation time after building 3K tt at a regoinal if thats your goal. hope it helps.

Maybe try 135 freight. You'll build time fast and get paid more than the regionals. A lot of companies get you home every morning. Working nights kinda sucks though.

get time fast, work where you live, dont commute for a temp job ( regional ) get the time and move on smartly

Hit the regionals if you go civilian. You'll fly 700-999 hours per year in a standardized crew environment with a monthly schedule. Corporate gigs are generally low time, sketchy schedules, and fairly loose on the SOPs. As someone said above the pay is not good, but it is just as good if not better than the pay at NJA was prior to Nov 2005. Lots of NJA types seem to forget that. The only PIC time that counts is turbine, unless you've got a dream Seneca job in mind, so upgrade at the regionals if it works and bang out a year or two doing that before moving on. That would be my advice. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. As I get more information about the 135 operation I will definetly be updating all of you to see what you think. However, for now it looks like the regionals are my best bet.

Thanks, J

Latest resources

Back