The Regional War

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JustaNumber

Any history buffs out there? I’ve noticed there is a striking resemblance between the political world of the late 1930’s/early 1940’s and the airline industry of today.

HUGE DISCLAIMER: I understand that the gravity of our current situation in no way even approaches what happened in WWII. Had any one of us been in any one of the WWII participants’ shoes, without the benefit of hindsight, we may have acted the exact same way. But that’s the beauty of history—maybe we can learn from it.

The way I see it, the regional airlines of today can be compared to the individual countries of Europe in 1939. Naziism represents the opportunism of managements realizing that they can take advantage of growing political instability to rape, pillage and plunder the pilot populations for their own gain—the easiest way for them to achieve their objectives.

Comair = Poland. The Comair pilots are the Polish Jews. They believe they are powerless to stop the Nazi’s, and so they incrementally give up small pieces of freedom and property. They believe that if they just don’t put up a fight, they’ll be treated okay and at least they’ll live to see another day. If only they realized they were being led like docile sheep to a slaughterhouse, they might have put up more of a fight.

ASA = Russia. The Russian people have endured such hardships, and they have so much pride, that they fight to the death. Millions of Russians are lost, but they successfully repel the Nazi’s. On a side note, the Russian government has always been somewhat oppressive and tyrannical themselves, and Russia never really becomes a great place to live.

Germany = Mesa. The German people are just doing what they are told, just trying to do the best for themselves. If Hans doesn’t run the concentration camps, then Franz would, so if someone’s going to do it, what difference does it make? Hans and Franz cooperate with the Nazi’s in exchange for their survival. They don’t appreciate their role in what the world ultimately looks like.

If Mesa = Germany, then that makes J.O. . . . Hitler! (Again, HUGE DISCLAIMER: nowhere near as bad). Need I say more? By the way, Hitler is about to annex Poland.

Expressjet = England. They thought they were isolated from the spread of Naziism, but now the city of London = 69 airplanes under attack. Will they fight?

Skywest = France. They put up a little resistance, but they don’t have much of an army and are powerless to stop the Nazi’s.

Horizon = Switzerland. Through some bizarre twist of fate and geography, Switzerland is not involved in the war, and survives relatively prosperously. By the way, if you do move to Switzerland, it will take you decades to acquire any “property.”

The major airlines = Italy. They have great power to affect the outcome of the situation in Europe, but they mainly look out for their own best interests. Or maybe they’re Japan, as they feel have a divine right to domination of the world?

ALPA = the League of Nations. They have great potential to get all the counties working together to fight Naziism, but also no political motivation. Each nation for themselves! A dismal failure.

Will Naziism continue to spread unchecked, or will individual nations rise up to fight it, even if it seems futile? We’ll have to see what happens. Keep in mind, a competitive Europe can survive and even thrive prosperously without the pillaging ugliness of Naziism!

P.S. Did I miss anyone?

Then whom is the US in this little idea. No one, so we are all screwed. By the way, I am a Prussian Jewish Mesa pilot, and I did take offense to your comments. Just b/c you say I am not serious does not mean you can make comparisons to situations that killed over 8 million people and many in my family. Also, the motivation as to why many people take certian jobs does not allow for you or anyone else to say that those reasons are wrong.

sflax said:
Then whom is the US in this little idea. No one, so we are all screwed. By the way, I am a Prussian Jewish Mesa pilot, and I did take offense to your comments. Just b/c you say I am not serious does not mean you can make comparisons to situations that killed over 8 million people and many in my family. Also, the motivation as to why many people take certian jobs does not allow for you or anyone else to say that those reasons are wrong.

Actually THIS is the United States of America and he can say anything he wants. And you are free to agree or disagree with him. Thank god the allies won the war. His comments may have been a bit harsh and to some offensive but I thought it was humerous.

I think that Southwest is the U.S. They are a sleeping dragon just waiting for a kick in the ass to jump in the fight and take over the world (or u.s. aviation)

sflax said:
Has anyone noticed that it's become an American tradition to be offended at just about anything, no matter how harmless it is? Grow up and take it like a man. :rolleyes:

JustaNumber, great post, and it really does fit the situation pretty well. By the way, JO may not be as bad as Hitler, but he's pretty close. ;) Oh wait, did I offend you again sflax?

Last edited:
Not, of course, that it should be construed that Hitler's "contribution" to history should be downplayed, but Stalin was a much bigger monster than Hitler ever was.

sflax, you could always take your prussian jewish ass back to the fatherland... or what? no oportunities there? Whats a jew doinig working for a cheap bastard like J.O. for anyway?

I had exactly the same thought except I thought of the poem about a pastor in nazi occupied Europe.

"First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me."

Pastor Martin Niemöller

Also, I am a prussian, Incan, Italian, American Indian, Jewish Mesa pilot and I have offended myself, but I apologize, and reject that apology.

I will see you in court my good sir!!

sflax said:
Also, the motivation as to why many people take certian jobs does not allow for you or anyone else to say that those reasons are wrong.
Tell that to all the people on here telling others not to take a job at Mesa :laugh:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back