Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Profession: What to do, Opportunity, and nowhere else to go but up(?).

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am talking about every pilot that voted to give up scope on a TA, I am talking about ALPA in Herndon that agreed to the scope clause, and I am talking about every ALPA pilot that says "I would give up 90 seat scope for SWA pay." The leadership has a done a poor job of of keeping every ALPA pilot's best interest at heart IMHO. There is plenty of blame to go around and I am not excluded from that blame.

I have to pile on here by saying that ALPA's most egregious recommendation of giving up scope was to the TWA pilots. Consider me biased on this one.

Agreed, the leadership has done a poor job of keeping every ALPA pilot's best interest at heart. The focus has become more of growing the Union than representing the parties that are its constitution.

Ask exactly how close to Duane was Prater. Same sh!t, different moustache. When the changes occur at the top, perhaps they'll happen throughout.

stlflyguy

Just keep thumping your chest Rez, eventually SOMEONE will make you the leader you dream to be by following you off the ALPA cliff.

I hope the airline piloting profession can have some of its luster restored, I really do...but unless Obama can turn the economy around in time to take advantage of both lower oil/fuel costs and the multitude of amendable CBAs, there won't be much to be "taken back" by ALPA.

I hope the airline piloting profession can have some of its luster restored, I really do...but unless Obama can turn the economy around in time to take advantage of both lower oil/fuel costs and the multitude of amendable CBAs, there won't be much to be "taken back" by ALPA.

What we need to HOPE for is 95% of Americans use their $1,000 Obama tax credit to buy an airline ticket, a new car, and pay the mortgage.

Great plan Mr. Spread the wealth around.

Let's all HOPE taking earned money from the rich will give us that warm fuzzy feeling we are all looking for.
Pretty sure this is the anger stage of recovery.

From my position ALPA is too fat and basically powerless.

When the ALPA president is getting around a half a million a year in compensation, and a fat pension, it is wrong. It makes getting the position a benefit instead of a responsibility.

The ALPA grab at the 401K issue was wrong.

And if they want to grab more of the regionals then the board must include them instead of one token VP.

Powerless, the RLA virtually strangles any strength of being a union. Airline managers know this and realize the strength that it is. It essentially kills any kind of wildcat action, which in todays age of alter ego production, means the ultimate weapon (strike) is useless.

But if ALPA wasn't the business model that it has become (ya it's a business) then they wouldn't worry about a fine. The problem is they have emassed so much financial strength that it becomes a target for punitive action if any faction says "screw it, were all calling in sick".

If it ever goes back to being a real union, with job actions and wildcat activity, then it will be worth it.

And I'll support it and help get it on the property.

But when it bones the regionals (conflict of interest), compensates Prater way too much, and can't risk getting fined, it's really just an expensive club with a glossy magazine.

The only reason the oil is lower is the lack of demand in the states and around the world. It is a lot like taking your foot of the gas pedal, the engine is sensing a lack of demand for more fuel. The engine in this case is the economy which is sucking air like a vacuum leak.
Gasoline could eventually drop below a dollar a gallon in some places, but you still need a job to pay for it.

what's up box office? what would your solution be?

International travel is down signaling the overseas job probability as not so possible. Who wants to move overseas in this dwindling job market?

The Profession haters on this board (we all know who you are) are running out of utopic places to tell pilots where to run to and from our Profession.

All the while, back here in the good ol' USA, opportunity is presenting itself. Only starry eyed and suicidal (Jonestown-ish?) McCain supporters can justify how he would be good fro the profession. Fact is not only is Obama friendly towards labor, he enthusiastically supports it. With so many appointments to be made that will effect the Profession, DOL, DOJ, FAA, NMB, TSA, etc., it is quite a pleasant tailwind.

In addition, never before in airline history have so many CBA's been amenable at the same time. The ability with a Pro Labor Administration, to simultaneously strike or threaten to strike is powerful leverage.

The Perfect Storm hit us in Sept 2001 and kept on battering us till 2007. Management leveraged that storm against us, took advantage of us and decimated the profession.

Is the our Perfect Storm brewing?

We can't point to the global market place anymore and say 'look at those great jobs'. Seems like we are stuck in the good ol USA with our own profession.

What to do?

So do you shrug your shoulders and say whatever? Or do you become a part of this opportunity to restore and promote Our Profession?

Do you leave it up to the same ol' usual union volunteers, the good ones and the bad ones? Or do you man up yourself and work, just a little bit, using the leverage of our Perfect Storm?

As Americans, do we stay engaged in democracy or do we return to apathy and hope the White House figures out what we want and need?

As professionals, who controls our Profession?

The choice is ours.

Get ready for non-discretionary ballots...
Good thing I'll be overseas in Japan for 3 1/2 years flying on "MAINLAND" routes.

Latest resources

Back