Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Price Of Happiness: $75,000 - guess what this is about?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So- how "happy" do you think Lear was when Air Tran fired him? ... How happy were most Air Tran pilots when they learned their company fired one of their really good guys? How many of your Furloughed pilots were happy in 2009? How many of you were happy going about your strike preps?
You guys can go on for longer than I can- and I know enough about life at AT to keep going on that line for a while...

It's interesting this thread is about what makes a person happy.

SWA has been a study in what makes people happy for 40 years-

But you do have a part to play.

Last edited:
http://www.blogher.com/frame.php?ur...09/07/the-price-of-happiness-75_n_707721.html

Pop culture might want us to believe that the best things in life are free, but two Princeton economists beg to differ.
Inc.com has more on what Nobel Laureate Daniel Kahneman and his colleague Angus Deaton discovered in a new study:
Not having enough money causes emotional pain and unhappiness, the researchers found. But the happiness tipping point is about $75,000 - more money than that doesn't make a person cheerier, though it can help people view their lives as successful or better.
Kahneman and Deaton distinguished between life satisfaction and joy by asking people to assess how happy they were on the previous day, and found that there was no difference between daily happiness levels of individuals making more than $75,000 per year.
The study echoes University of Illinois Professor Ed Diener's global research on the same topic, the results of which were reported in July. According to the Washington Post, Diener found that while the relationship between money and satisfaction is strong and universal, the relationship between wealth and positive emotion is more complex.
The Post explains:
"...a key element of what many people consider happiness -- positive feelings -- is much more strongly affected by factors other than cold, hard cash, such as feeling respected, being in control of your life and having friends and family to rely on in a pinch."
"...a key element of what many people consider happiness -- positive feelings -- is much more strongly affected by factors other than cold, hard cash, such as feeling respected, being in control of your life and having friends and family to rely on in a pinch."
Get where I am going with this?

Taking 60% of a pilot group and putting them in the lower 20 percentile is disgusting. I am really surprised and appalled by this.

Not feeling the luv. This is how you bring brother pilots into the fold?

Wow.

This is the main thing.....How the hell do you expect us to walk around there after this?

I am not just speaking for myself. Most of the guys I talk to feel this way about it.

Wait, but Southwest is the friendly airline! :smash:

This is a misnomer. Over half of our pilots will be displaced from ATL. Those that are, will be bidding in a system where they have lost 4 years' seniority.

It's a double-whammy for those pilots. Lineholders for years, now displaced, and with no bidding power to hold one of your bases, let alone a line. Sorry you don't see it that way, but that's where many of us are coming from.

IF it goes to Arbitration (we still have 6 weeks worth of Mediation left before the 9/30 deadline) we might be able to come up with some improvements for both sides.

Not that it matters now but the 717 guys would still have only been bidding against other AAI pilots no matter where they went. They would have base seat seniority based on whoever choose to go to that base.

There is nothing to mediate as both sides have stated that they won't give another inch. We are off to arbitration where both sides will have to live with whatever we get.

BTWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I make more than a legacy FO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Narrowbody

Based on our life style $75,000 doesn't apply. But about $100,000 does. Atleast for me;)

Last edited:
JT you forgot to add:

"To SWA F/Os FUPM"

Maybe you should add it as your signature

JT you forgot to add:

"To SWA F/Os FUPM"

Maybe you should add it as your signature

Nah, I am already getting paid right now. I looked up FUPM. Does not apply.

Got a 30% raise in our last contract. Industry average.

I love the guys talking how we hoped for this 3-4 years ago. A SWA buyout. Oil was $140 and that was before this AAI pilot contract. A lot has changed here at AAI. We knew you would walk in with your W-2s during this merger, hence our expeditious contract DEC2010. And I can tell you if it was not for this merger our Captains would have done better that's for sure.

Last edited:

I love the guys talking how we hoped for this 3-4 years ago. A SWA buyout. Oil was $140 and that was before this AAI pilot contract. A lot has changed here at AAI. We knew you would walk in with your W-2s during this merger, hence our expeditious contract DEC2010. And I can tell you if it was not for this merger our Captains would have done better that's for sure.

umm, the only reason you got this contract was because your old mgmt team was leaving. Do you think the previous ATN MGMT team would have done this if they knew they were staying? No way, they would rather see you guys burn the place down than give in, they gave in cause they knew this was not going to be their problem anymore.

Maybe. And the Dow Jones will be up 1000 points at the openning bell.

Except for the Dow Jones life is really good right now. Thanks for the help with the contract then Piddle.

Which is it? All I see posted here by airtran guys is the fact that in an arby what SWA pilots got paid compared to you is meaningless. But then you state that is the very reason you expedited your DEC2010 contract because of our W-2s. How contradictory can you get? Care to clarify?

Maybe. And the Dow Jones will be up 1000 points at the openning bell.

Except for the Dow Jones life is really good right now. Thanks for the help with the contract then Piddle.

Just remember something, we are playing for the same boss. He doesn't want two companies, he wants one. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. GK is also paying your bills like he is paying mine. Yet the differences between you and me right now are staggering. We might all be friends in a year or so, but right now...the step-brother just gave daddy the finger.

Latest resources

Back