• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Pilot Shortage is here! Part 597

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pretty soon the myth will be causing a lot of problems for a lot of us, including me. All my flights to ORD are on RJs, and most of them to DTW/MSP are also on RJs. It will make it a lot harder for me to get to work...

Pretty soon the myth will be causing a lot of problems for a lot of us, including me. All my flights to ORD are on RJs, and most of them to DTW/MSP are also on RJs. It will make it a lot harder for me to get to work...

Again, the myth is the shortage. The fact is there are plenty of pilots out there to fly the routes at a wage that makes sense. I'm probably a little too close to this issue, but mainline says the route/airplane make x. If regional pilots aren't willing to work for x/y (y is less than y in all cases) then they can't make money and it makes no sense. They refuse to value the flying higher. So while Management from all mainline carriers may scream PILOT SHORTAGE and BROKEN SYSTEM from the rooftops, with us they are making business decisions based on cost, supply and demand, and efficencies for bringing a reduced schedule in house.

It sucks that your commute is going to hell, been there. Hopefully mainline will do what Delta is doing and has threatened to do in the past. Replace RJ routes with mainline birds, run 2 instead of 4. To give you an idea- to cover Endeavor when we still had 180 Delta birds, they needed to activate just under half their reserves for the summer flying. There's probably a plan in place but it may screw your "two to show" up and make you come in the night before... of course I had been there for 6 months going before I jumped off the train.

It sucks that your commute is going to hell, been there. Hopefully mainline will do what Delta is doing and has threatened to do in the past. Replace RJ routes with mainline birds, run 2 instead of 4. To give you an idea- to cover Endeavor when we still had 180 Delta birds, they needed to activate just under half their reserves for the summer flying. There's probably a plan in place but it may screw your "two to show" up and make you come in the night before

Most of my commuting is on DAL, so that is good, but even last year I missed about one DAL trip per month because they didn't have any open seats, so had to fly on AA or UAL. This year, AA and UAL have cancelled a number of my flights. Luckily for me, my airline buys me a ticket to get to work...but it doesn't work if the flights I am on are cancelled....then it is a pain for me and my airline trying to get me where I need to go.

And the shortage will continue to grow as people like myself who are leaving the profession.

This also helps those of us who want to stay. I hope you find a great job/career outside of aviation. Aviation is my fourth career, and the best by far. I have had a lot of jobs, and the one I have now is the best by a longshot.

It will be really interesting to see how things change over the next 5 years....it will be hard for a lot of people, especially HR and airline management.

Be sure to cling onto the pilot shortage myth. Put all of your eggs into that magical basket.

The pylot shortage is a myth. Look what's happening now? Are airlines raising pay? No just reducing flights. Eventually the regionals will shrink all the while sending their non psychos to fill mainline slots. No shortage at the mainline level. Another war sprinkled here and there as well as economical meltdown as everyone is printing money now and the shortage will be kicked down the raid for another decade or so.

Last edited:
The pylot shortage is a myth. Look what's happening now? Are airlines raising pay? No just reducing flights. Eventually the regionals will shrink all the while sending their non psychos to fill mainline slots. No shortage at the mainline level. Another war sprinkled here and there as well as economical meltdown as everyone is printing money now and the shortage will be kicked down the raid for another decade or so.

I think this is exactly correct. Regionals will shrink, we may get some small gains in pay, but not much. Majors will grow slightly, most will come from the regionals, a little back fill......no big shortage.

Latest resources

Back