• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Pilot Shortage is Almost Here!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can't afford to lose any length on my arms.

I'm already holding the newspaper at arm's length to read the darn thing!

:D

Everytime I look at my wife with lust in my eyes she reminds me that there is a pilot shortage.......or is that a shortage of pilot? I keep getting them mixed up. ;)

Pilot shortage

Yudso said:
If I were Kit, I would not be working at jepp, whining about all the flying I am not doing. When I was young and oblivious to the ways of the industry, I bought into his line of BS. Now there is only a shortage of pilots willing to pay him to loosen their bowels.
Good thing.

I always thought that Kit invented the pilot shortage in the '80s to grow FAPA. Not so. Kit stole shtik from persons unknown from the '60s. Pete Fusco in Moondog's Academy addresses the 1960s pilot shortage.

I, too, was one who fell in step with Kit. I don't regret it at all because it motivated me to change careers, but Kit's greater, and far more noxious, deception was by how he makes it sound so easy.

Kit brought professional aviation to the masses by advertising FAPA in the mainstream pilot magazines. Join FAPA. Then read the easy how-to-do-it in his slick literature and Career Pilot magazine. It's a con and snow job. He conveniently ignores the roadblocks and potholes to building a career. Kit sells dreams. No reality check whatsoever.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, but there is no pilot shortage.

Compared to 1973, 1983 and 1993

As posted before years ending in 3's are bad years to find flying jobs, the guys in 73, 83, 93 thought the world of flying was all closed up and there would never be a chance to make a living in the cockpit, fast forward five years and hiring is booming, 78, 88, 98 were years just about anyone could get a job, maybe not a great one but a flying job anyway. Those who find a way to stay in the cockpit, get flight time, and don't waste their time in getting a worthless 4 yr degree in Avaition Management will be a the front of the line when the hiring starts because they will have the flight time for the job, the hiring boom starting in 07/08 will be different than the boom's in the past, it will not be the "Majors" it will in the other end of the business. And they will not care about a college degree. So if you want to fly, Fly build hours and be ready for the hiring boom on 07. Now if you want to go to college to learn something that has a market value, that is good idea, like accounting, teaching, nursing, etc. But don't waste your time in college taking courses with no market value to become a pilot, your potential employer does not care.

Last edited:
non majors man

the legacy airlines will never retrun to their former status, the hiring will be a the regional, cargo, fractional, 135 charters, etc.

I wouldn't make any blanket statements..

About pilot hiring futures, pilotyip. Not defending my fading career at a legacy carrier, but you never know how this industry will turn.

I don't know if the numbers of pax will ever be as high as they were pre-9/11 but I really doubt they will be as low as they have been. Besides, JB, AirTran and SWA can't fly everyone. Can they...?;) TC

P.S.--I'm currently trying to escape my job at a legacy carrier for QOL purposes. I have no doubt that my current company will rebound and those employed there will have a bright future.

I think.

Well, they may.

OH, GOD! WE'RE ALL DOOMED!:D

The best advice my dad gave me as a freshman in 86 was to get my 4 year degree. 10 years later, when I decided to return to pursue flying I enrolled in a 2 year degree program and transferred all my under-grad work. Why another degree? Well, it is one more item to put under the education section of my resume. You can never go wrong obtaining more education. Just my 2 cents.

CaptBuzzard said:
The only pilot shortage I know of is that I am short of a job.

Ditto!

I disagree with Yip on the degree issue

wil said:
The best advice my dad gave me as a freshman in 86 was to get my 4 year degree. 10 years later, when I decided to return to pursue flying I enrolled in a 2 year degree program and transferred all my under-grad work. Why another degree? Well, it is one more item to put under the education section of my resume. You can never go wrong obtaining more education. Just my 2 cents.
Absolutely. Moved and seconded.

Re: Pilot shortage

bobbysamd said:

I, too, was one who fell in step with Kit. I don't regret it at all because it motivated me to change careers

If that's the case, what's the harm?

bobbysamd said:

It's a con and snow job. He conveniently ignores the roadblocks and potholes to building a career. Kit sells dreams. No reality check whatsoever.

I must refute this. While pursuing a civilian flying job last year, I obtained a membership to Airinc's website and attended a convention. Nowhere did I see or hear anything from Kit indicating a "pilot shortage". Quite the contrary. His message was loud and clear that one must make themselves competetive in an extremely tight market. Of course, he offered a lot of different products to help in this endeavor, some which I found useful and others that I didn't. I probably tossed about 300 bucks into educating myself (quite conveniently, I might add) in an industry in which I had little knowledge other than the basic flying skills. In 2002, I landed 4 job interviews, one of them as a direct result of my attendance at an Airinc convention. All four interviews were successful and I attribute that in no small part to the information I gained via Airinc. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but I found it a very good value for my time and money. I also went into the process with my eyes wide open due in large part to info gleaned from Airinc and what I could sift out of this board between all the mudslinging.

Latest resources

Back