• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Other "LCC's" after WN/FL Merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SW owns the ATA airlines certificate with worldwide authority, 737/757 ETOPS approval already. They just need to place a few airplanes on it and train the mx and flt. ops people on the already FAA approved procedures, fwiw

Word from the FSDO here is that the ETOPS certification does not transfer as easily as that. They would still need to go through all the runs in order to gain the authority.

That's what I was told by our head at the FSDO for whatever thats worth

Last edited:
Word from the FSDO here is that the ETOPS certification does not transfer as easily as that. They would still need to go through all the runs in order to gain the authority.

That's what I was told by our head at the FSDO for whatever thats worth

They'll have to start all over. ETOPS is not that easy to get. SWA probably would have to change a lot of their maintenance proc. including a logbook change. Dispatch. and then crews. It took AK 22 months to get their's

SWA also surrendered the cert. after they bought ATA. It they hadn't, they'd be flying everywhere in the world already.

Inter-island - not big enough or profitable enough to interest them. There is a reason inter-island is a niche market and why their aren't more air carriers trying it. By our history and who we are, we are forced to fly inter-island and always will, regardless if we are profitable there or not. No one else has this obligation and I don't see anyone beating down the doors (besides the failure that is Go) to do it. For Hawaiian, inter-island is an obligation.

Checking the interisland fares lately, they can't be losing too much money on those flights, anything but the wee hours of the morning runs nearly $200+ w/taxes for round trip. So long are the days of $29 each way fares.....

Checking the interisland fares lately, they can't be losing too much money on those flights, anything but the wee hours of the morning runs nearly $200+ w/taxes for round trip. So long are the days of $29 each way fares.....
We are charging fares that are realistic now. $29 fares, $49 fares, etc. were ridiculous and were brought to you by JO & Meas/GO with one purpose only - to bankrupt Aloha. While they worked for that, they also helped put Mesa into bankruptcy too. GO has never come close to making a profit.

I fly my kid between SAN & LAS all the time on SWA. It's always $200+ round trip. Look at other short haul flights and you will see HA's fares are similar.

HA's not making bank interisland. Historically it's been a money loser. Recently it's been break even maybe a slight profit.

As far as Allegiant is concerned, I don't think that Southwest will be too concerned in the near future about the small cities that Allegiant serves. I think they will have their plate full with Atlanta, the Northeast, and International destinations. I see the small inroads that Airtran made into some of Allegiants markets going away in a year or so.
As for the future of Allegiant; for the forseeable future for the next five years there is plenty of growth available to Allegiant in the small city market in the US to their "destinations", not to mention taking same said cities and flying them to other new destinations. Hawaii will be in full swing by then. And I wouldnt be surprised to see a widebody of some sort on the property around 5-6 years from now.
After that my crystal ball gets a little murky, ya never know what the future may bring...........good or bad!

Latest resources

Back