• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The OTHER HERO & PILOT: Jeff Skiles, US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, you really have never read any NTSB accident reports have you?

I've read plenty and had my own engine failure - how about you. What's the 1st transmission to ATC we always make in sim after a V1 cut once we get our sh!t together? Something about the engine failure?? And then you probably climb straight out for awhile, then turn downwind and then at some point go through the checklist which leads you to shutting one down. And you're agreeing with this dude that these guys might have just blown all that off and lost one, shut the other engine down by mistake before saying sh!t to ATC while they were still in a turn and then first call was dual engine failure?

Please tell me you've just had one too many and don't really think this ......

You guys have to understand that there are many out there in the flying public that really don't know what a "co-pilot' is. Believe it or not, I've run into some that thought FOs weren't even pilots!

I've read plenty and had my own engine failure - how about you. What's the 1st transmission to ATC we always make in sim after a V1 cut once we get our sh!t together? Something about the engine failure?? And then you probably climb straight out for awhile, then turn downwind and then at some point go through the checklist which leads you to shutting one down. And you're agreeing with this dude that these guys might have just blown all that off and lost one, shut the other engine down by mistake before saying sh!t to ATC while they were still in a turn and then first call was dual engine failure?

Please tell me you've just had one too many and don't really think this ......

Hmmmm your responses reads like someone who has alot of Microsoft flight time. Certainly someone who has not been under pressure with a fire and MAYBE a failure of the other engine. But I'm sure you have!!!

I can't believe you are basing your idea of "factual" information on ATC and other pilot hear-say. But you are probably right.

And you I have had my share of engine failures and shutdowns.

Does that make you feel better?

Amazing you have over 8000hrs and have never made a mistake over the radio let alone screwed up in the sim. Damn you should apply to Nasa

Whatever man, you win. They did everything right!!! If you take your time and sound out the syllables of my posts you will note that I have NEVER said that they screwed up. I have nothing but praise. I'm just saving my “pilot god” comments for AT LEAST the preliminary NTSB report. RIF........reading is fundamental, or maybe Hooked on Phonics may help.

Last edited:
tito jackson....that was great...seriously, where is the FO love....everyone knows the FO does all the work anyway....wink wink....

This be some spectaculous wordsmiffin'!

m80drvr: Don't hold your breath. I'm sure Prater et el don't want to give USAPA many Kudos. But ALPA is helping behind the scenes with their CHIRP folks. Unpaid volunteers are helping.

I have no doubt that there are many hard working volunteers involved...but we need volunteers/paid staff involved in using this incident to help improve the public perception of our profession...in ADDITION to the CIRP/investigating work that is going on. Until that happens....as long as to the public thinks we are just a bunch of over-paid computer "monitors" then we will never get the improved pay/benefits/work conditions we all seek.

ALPA is not the representative for the USAirways pilots. They opted for USAPA. By your logic you should also be upset with the APA, Southwest’s pilots union ect.

I am disappointed with all of us collectively including myself and the other unions, however, the fact that I am a dues paying ALPA member aims my "upsetness" at them. Additionally, ALPA is the LARGEST pilot's union and therefore presumably have the largest number of "experts in commercial airliner operations" to make available to the media.

I agree it would be nice to see some more good press for the profession but it is USAPA’s show right now.

If it is USAPA's show then why am I seeing interviews of Mary Scha-whatever who's only expertise is that she was an ACCOUNTANT for the FAA. Why is Dr. Phil being asked about flying because he has a pilots license...oooooh! Why are the local news stations going to the local airports and asking GA guys driniking beer in T-hangers there opinion about what happened...

It's because it isn't the "USAPA's show" either, it's CNN or FOX news or CNBC's, or whoevers show. We (ALPA and the rest of this profession) aren't putting our story out there and making REAL LIFE AIRLINE PILOTS (pilots that have been given the proper spokesperson training) available in a large enough number and the void is being filled with pseudo-experts.

Like it or not this is the age of the 24 hour newscast and they need to fill the 24 hours, the 24 hours WILL be filled the only question becomes who's story is told and I would like for it to be ours much more often then it is now.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Enjoy the silence. (crickets chirp)

Name one shipwreck in the last 2,000 years and tell me who the first officer was. I agree that it takes a crew all working together to accomplish what has been done. But at the beginning of the day and at the end of the day it is the captain who has always been and always will be in charge of everything that happens good or bad no matter who manipulates the controls or pushes the buttons.

CRM rightly does a good job of attempting to eliminate the "god complex" in things like airplane flying but there is still only one who will receive the kudos or the condemnations and there is only one who will retain ultimate responsibility for whatever goes right or wrong.

Latest resources

Back