• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The OTHER HERO & PILOT: Jeff Skiles, US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I concur. Dr. Phil was adamant that the FO was also very responsible for the successful outcome. You never know what may come out in the investigation. Maybe the river was the FO's idea. Maybe the FO decided to get the ditching switch on his own. Hell, maybe the FO was flying and the bossman was trying to get some motors going. Wait and see.

PIPE

Dr Phil lumped the 'other' pilot and the FAs in the same category.

Someone they interview needs to clearly state that there are TWO pilots on these airplanes, and both worked together, and we don't know who did what in this situation.

Not to be Deby Downer, but any one thought that perhaps the (birds) took out the left engine and in a rush the crew shut down the wrong engine and did this to them selves?

History shows we tend to do these type of things to ourselves.

wonderful job ditching, I just hope it was not because of pilot error.

Every media/passangers account is that the Left engine made bad sounds and the next thing they know is they are being told to brace.

Not to be Deby Downer, but any one thought that perhaps the (birds) took out the left engine and in a rush the crew shut down the wrong engine and did this to them selves?

History shows we tend to do these type of things to ourselves.

wonderful job ditching, I just hope it was not because of pilot error.

Every media/passangers account is that the Left engine made bad sounds and the next thing they know is they are being told to brace.

Isn't that what happened with a 737-400 in the UK a decade or two ago? I think it was BMI or something like that? They were brand new to the 400 and not used to it or something?

Sources close to the investigation are saying that the FO was the flying pilot, the 61-year old captain shut down the fully functioning #2 engine after failure of the #1 engine, and the FO performed the successful ditching into the Hudson.

Just kidding.....seriously.....just flame.

Let's wait for the NTSB to do their job.

What if the was FO was flying?

A true captain is a "manager". Its hard to manage and fly at the same time.

My guess is this happened all too fast to think and communicate (like the Souix City UAL DC10), that they did what they did without really thinking. Just natural reaction (experience).

I frequently ask my flying partners "if we lost both engines now, where would you go?". Amazing everyone heads to the airport. Lots of airports are in the middle of the city....there is no way out if you come up short. A runway is the preferred place to put it down, but dont get sucked into the belief its the only place to land.

Sources close to the investigation are saying that the FO was the flying pilot, the 61-year old captain shut down the fully functioning #2 engine after failure of the #1 engine, and the FO performed the successful ditching into the Hudson.

Just kidding.....seriously.....just flame.

Let's wait for the NTSB to do their job.

Actually per procedure, the F/O should be flying the airplane during an emergency.

Depends on the company. At American it's up to the Capt who fly's during an emergency. If I was the CA in this scenario I would want to be the one setting it down on the water.

F_CK the media. Bunch of clueless clown. I am sure the CA will make clear that the crew efforts made for a successful outcome and that he is just a member of the crew, especially since he is a CRM guy.

There are 155 people on that plane that dont think pilots are over paid!!

Bingo! This is what people need to understand. They are paying for that kind of experience and professionalism. Doctors are paid what doctors are paid because they are experienced professionals. Pilots need to be treated the same way.

Latest resources

Back