• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The OTHER HERO & PILOT: Jeff Skiles, US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
m80drvr: Don't hold your breath. I'm sure Prater et el don't want to give USAPA many Kudos. But ALPA is helping behind the scenes with their CHIRP folks. Unpaid volunteers are helping.

I have no doubt that there are many hard working volunteers involved...but we need volunteers/paid staff involved in using this incident to help improve the public perception of our profession...in ADDITION to the CIRP/investigating work that is going on. Until that happens....as long as to the public thinks we are just a bunch of over-paid computer "monitors" then we will never get the improved pay/benefits/work conditions we all seek.

ALPA is not the representative for the USAirways pilots. They opted for USAPA. By your logic you should also be upset with the APA, Southwest’s pilots union ect.

I am disappointed with all of us collectively including myself and the other unions, however, the fact that I am a dues paying ALPA member aims my "upsetness" at them. Additionally, ALPA is the LARGEST pilot's union and therefore presumably have the largest number of "experts in commercial airliner operations" to make available to the media.

I agree it would be nice to see some more good press for the profession but it is USAPA’s show right now.

If it is USAPA's show then why am I seeing interviews of Mary Scha-whatever who's only expertise is that she was an ACCOUNTANT for the FAA. Why is Dr. Phil being asked about flying because he has a pilots license...oooooh! Why are the local news stations going to the local airports and asking GA guys driniking beer in T-hangers there opinion about what happened...

It's because it isn't the "USAPA's show" either, it's CNN or FOX news or CNBC's, or whoevers show. We (ALPA and the rest of this profession) aren't putting our story out there and making REAL LIFE AIRLINE PILOTS (pilots that have been given the proper spokesperson training) available in a large enough number and the void is being filled with pseudo-experts.

Like it or not this is the age of the 24 hour newscast and they need to fill the 24 hours, the 24 hours WILL be filled the only question becomes who's story is told and I would like for it to be ours much more often then it is now.

I think ALPA...as the largest pilots union has the perfect opportunity right now to enhance our proffession. Even though it is not one of "our" airlines ALPA should be making pilot spokesmen available in every media outlet that will have us. This is our chance to change the way the public percieves this proffession. The only reason the media calls Mary or Dr. Phil is because the producers have there numbers on speed dial for these situations and everytime after an incident like this there is nothing but silence from the pilots and there union. Our union needs to make it easy for the media to work with us...not wait around the office waiting for the media to call them. In a situation like this I would expect to see Prater or one of his cronies on every major news channel 24 hours a day as long as they will have us.

I am disappointed as this is yet another opportunity we have missed.

Later

The opportunities are everyday.... to have pride in the profession and promote it...

I agree with what you are saying however, do we wait for a once in a generation event like this to happen so we can raise awareness to the profession?

ALL pilots should be participating in the profession at some level some of the time...

Waiting for Al Haynes and Sully to pull off a miracle and have a union ride the wave is not proactive enough....

The sensationalism of this event will wear down soon enough and then it is back to hatin' pilots and FAs, with delays and $3 soda's...

If we want to promote the profession each of us has got to do a little bit more than we are.....

m80drvr: Don't hold your breath. I'm sure Prater et el don't want to give USAPA many Kudos. But ALPA is helping behind the scenes with their CHIRP folks. Unpaid volunteers are helping.

I have no doubt that there are many hard working volunteers involved...but we need volunteers/paid staff involved in using this incident to help improve the public perception of our profession...in ADDITION to the CIRP/investigating work that is going on. Until that happens....as long as to the public thinks we are just a bunch of over-paid computer "monitors" then we will never get the improved pay/benefits/work conditions we all seek.

ALPA is not the representative for the USAirways pilots. They opted for USAPA. By your logic you should also be upset with the APA, Southwest’s pilots union ect.

I am disappointed with all of us collectively including myself and the other unions, however, the fact that I am a dues paying ALPA member aims my "upsetness" at them. Additionally, ALPA is the LARGEST pilot's union and therefore presumably have the largest number of "experts in commercial airliner operations" to make available to the media.

I agree it would be nice to see some more good press for the profession but it is USAPA’s show right now.

If it is USAPA's show then why am I seeing interviews of Mary Scha-whatever who's only expertise is that she was an ACCOUNTANT for the FAA. Why is Dr. Phil being asked about flying because he has a pilots license...oooooh! Why are the local news stations going to the local airports and asking GA guys driniking beer in T-hangers there opinion about what happened...

It's because it isn't the "USAPA's show" either, it's CNN or FOX news or CNBC's, or whoevers show. We (ALPA and the rest of this profession) aren't putting our story out there and making REAL LIFE AIRLINE PILOTS (pilots that have been given the proper spokesperson training) available in a large enough number and the void is being filled with pseudo-experts.

Like it or not this is the age of the 24 hour newscast and they need to fill the 24 hours, the 24 hours WILL be filled the only question becomes who's story is told and I would like for it to be ours much more often then it is now.

Great I agree with everything you said. If ALPA wants to speak up they will. As a dues paying member maybe you should call Prater and tell him what you think. Find out why ALPA is so mum. Find out why USAPA is so quiet.

CNN FOX and all the others will interview whomever they want. You're right, they are running the show.

Maybe , just maybe, ALPA is waiting to see what actually happened inside the airplane before spouting off that we are all under paid professionals. You have not see USAPA, the USAirways pilots union, with a press release yet. I'm sure EVERYONE with industry knowledge is waiting for more info about BOTH engines fragging. (I am NOT suggesting that the pilots had any fault in the accident. In fact, I believe that did outstanding to land a plane with NO power, especially an Airbus. BUT we are heaping praise on a pilot that may have caused 1/2 the problem. AGAIN, I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT THEY SHUT THE WRONG ONE DOWN. I'm just waiting for the results of the investigation.)

But you are right, I agree with you, where are the industry professionals? Hmmmmmm maybe the news outlets are interviewing the fringe of aviation because it make for higher ratings. The more dramatic the better.

Oh yeah, that Mary Scha....whatever is an IDIOT and is totally unqualified to be a spoksman for the aviation industry. But the news services love her because she supports whatever their (the media's) agenda is.

Last edited:
Not to be Deby Downer, but any one thought that perhaps the (birds) took out the left engine and in a rush the crew shut down the wrong engine and did this to them selves?

History shows we tend to do these type of things to ourselves.

wonderful job ditching, I just hope it was not because of pilot error.

Every media/passangers account is that the Left engine made bad sounds and the next thing they know is they are being told to brace.

What a tool. History also shows that when you declare an emergency with an engine failure it is said just like that - singular. ATC said pilots reported "dual bird strike". In your dumbas$ scenario, I guess they would not have made any engine failure transmission to ATC at all, then they would have started working the single engine failure problem, only to oops shut down the wrong motor, then after they goofed up they called and claimed "dual" then went through the rest of drill before ditching?

You're not a "Deby Downer" - you're just a dumbas$ - worse than some of the press I had to listen to last night.

Just cause pax saw left engine flames means right eng. didn't also take birds? Right. Are you really a pilot?

What a tool. History also shows that when you declare an emergency with an engine failure it is said just like that - singular. ATC said pilots reported "dual bird strike". In your dumbas$ scenario, I guess they would not have made any engine failure transmission to ATC at all, then they would have started working the single engine failure problem, only to oops shut down the wrong motor, then after they goofed up they called and claimed "dual" then went through the rest of drill before ditching?

You're not a "Deby Downer" - you're just a dumbas$ - worse than some of the press I had to listen to last night.

Just cause pax saw left engine flames means right eng. didn't also take birds? Right. Are you really a pilot?

Wow, you really have never read any NTSB accident reports have you?

You know it`s getting bad when the reporters start interviewing each other. Fox News reporter John Scott is a "pilot" and was interviewed by Megan Kelly. He stated that "these airliners can really glide, for instance a 747 can glide about 15 miles for every thousand feet of altitude". Then the dumbass said that " The pilots of this jet pulled out their manuals and went through their check lists before gliding into the river".

Last edited:
Ben Dover...What a tool. History also shows that when you declare an emergency with an engine failure it is said just like that - singular. ATC said pilots reported "dual bird strike". In your dumbas$ scenario, I guess they would not have made any engine failure transmission to ATC at all, then they would have started working the single engine failure problem, only to oops shut down the wrong motor, then after they goofed up they called and claimed "dual" then went through the rest of drill before ditching?

I have to agree with othello on this one...in fact things like this do happen. Such as reaching for the flaps to bring them to one only to shut down the number two engine because you did not look at what you were grabbing...yes, it happened(not to me though). Maybe not what happened, but possible.

Back to the F.O. - Just saw a passenger in the hospital on ET saying "the pilot gave me the shirt off his back because he saw that I was cold." The guy was wearing a pilot shirt with 3 strips on the epaulets(sp?)...absolutely amazing!!!

Back to the F.O. - Just saw a passenger in the hospital on ET saying "the pilot gave me the shirt off his back because he saw that I was cold." The guy was wearing a pilot shirt with 3 strips on the epaulets(sp?)...absolutely amazing!!!

Classic... The F/O is being treated like he is Tito Jackson.

Latest resources

Back