Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The newest trend in Airline Fees...Al Gore dream come true!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wasn't Al Gore the one, while he was VP, that was touring Montecello and looked at a bust and Jefferson and asked "Who is that?" while Bill Clinton had to turn away from the camera to hide his laughter.

I only have one question... what ended the last ice age?

Check this out: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

Ice ages have come and gone for millions of years. They happen because of VERY long-scale cycles (called Milankovitch cycles) of Earth's orbit (something like 20,000 to 100,000 year long cycles.)

The warming we are seeing now is unprecedented. It is absolutely NOT due to milankovitch cycles. Historically, it has taken about 10,000 years to change as much as we have in the past 150 years or so.

Your article is about a controvesial theory. If you want to hear about the mainstream theory, just click on the link in that article. I copied ithere. The mainstream thinking is that us, not increasing cosmic rays, are responsible.

Last edited:
The science is clear. I think some people will never believe in global warming just because it was a cause that was championed by Al Gore.

No, the science is NOT clear. Yes, it is a fact that temperatures have been rising over the last several decades. No, it is NOT a fact that this is being caused by man. The only FACT here is that we don't have enough evidence one way or the other to know for sure WHY the temps are rising. It is very possible that this is a natural cycle of the earth, and if man were able to stop the rise it could be more detrimental than allowing it to happen. We just don't have enough FACTS to know for sure.

No, the science is NOT clear. Yes, it is a fact that temperatures have been rising over the last several decades. No, it is NOT a fact that this is being caused by man. The only FACT here is that we don't have enough evidence one way or the other to know for sure WHY the temps are rising. It is very possible that this is a natural cycle of the earth, and if man were able to stop the rise it could be more detrimental than allowing it to happen. We just don't have enough FACTS to know for sure.

Sure it's possible that man could possibly have nothing to do with GW. I'd say that unlocking hydrocarbon compounds, releasing them into the air and oceans within a 300 year time when it took hundreds of millions of years to accumulate them into the Earth's crust suggests otherwise.

I was reading an article concerning the massive coral bleachings that are occurring world wide. The likely cause, increased temps as well as a ph shift due to carbonic acid from CO2 going into solution. Here is a species of animals that have seen more ice ages and warm spells since before there was such a thing as a dinosaur. Now, they are rapidly dying off EVERWHERE.

I think most people who refute GW are just politicizing the issue, and certainly throwing common sense out the window.

Let's try something different:
Let us end the arguments for or against global warming.
Tell me what YOU specifically are going to do. What is your part of the solution?
Are you ready to start using mass transit?
Are you ready to use CFL's and add a solar system to your rooftops?
Are you in line to purchase a hybid vehicle or perhaps just a small, more fuel efficient vehicle?

We can argue all we want here, it is just m@sturb@tion.

If this country was serious about solar and other alternative fuels and energy sources, then why is it in today's Los Angeles Times that the Kalifornia legislature just changed the rules on tax credits for solar systems and Southern Cal Edison just changes the energy rates for those with solar systems? Now, those with panels are going to be charged the TOP rate for energy use when the panels don't produce enough power for them. The state solar industry is on the verge of colapsing because the California Legislative brain trust saw this as a unique way to back door tax increase on those that took the big step and buy Solar for their homes.

IF this country was serious about alternative energy, then, it would be mandated that every house built from today on, would have solar installed as part of the construction.

Like I said earlier, we can argue for or against all day, ....m@sturb@tion.

Tell me what YOU specifically are going to do. What is your part of the solution?
Are you ready to start using mass transit?
Are you ready to use CFL's and add a solar system to your rooftops?
Are you in line to purchase a hybid vehicle or perhaps just a small, more fuel efficient vehicle?

We can argue all we want here, it is just m@sturb@tion.

If this country was serious about solar and other alternative fuels and energy sources, then why is it in today's Los Angeles Times that the Kalifornia legislature just changed the rules on tax credits for solar systems and Southern Cal Edison just changes the energy rates for those with solar systems? Now, those with panels are going to be charged the TOP rate for energy use when the panels don't produce enough power for them. The state solar industry is on the verge of colapsing because the California Legislative brain trust saw this as a unique way to back door tax increase on those that took the big step and buy Solar for their homes.

IF this country was serious about alternative energy, then, it would be mandated that every house built from today on, would have solar installed as part of the construction.

That is bad news for California and the rest of the nation if it is true.
Solar should be mandatory in building codes TODAY.
Continuing to feel like someone is trying to keep us down.

As for what We can all do???
Personally:
Bought midsize truck instead of full size.
Re-roofed house adding insulating foam, reducing need for AC.
As lights burn out, replacing with long lasting, energy efficient CFL's.
Do errands on work days so they are 'on the way.'
Looking into solar for the house.
Hope for a more efficient plane to fly.
If none of us do anything nothing will ever happen. But if we each do a little bit of something, where we can ,we will be less dependent on Foreign oil.
In the end that is what the goal needs to be. Our jobs depend on it.
If we just burn burn burn, running cars, trucks, AC, power plants, what are our planes/paychecks going to fly on?
Bio-JET-A would be nice.
You don't have to be a tree hugger to see this makes sense for pilots.

Trying to do my part. Care to join me?

Thanks for the intelligent, non-argumentative response.
My list:
All bulbs in the house are CFL's.
Sold the "premium only" luxury car, drive a diesel powered Jetta, over 50MPG!!
Energy star appliances, Solar is over $30,000, that will have to wait a while.

I think electing officials who will:
1. work to shut down coal-fired power plants in favor of nuclear/wind/solar plants
2. enforce higher mileage in automobiles
3. cut tax incentives to oil companies
4. subsidize home solar systems
etc. etc.

Unfortunately, the oil industry has trillions of dollars at stake, and they will continue to back guys like Sen. Inhoffe who will spread disinformation and outright lies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back