Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

From Farnborough Air Show in UK today:

Mitsubishi Aircraft Corporation announced today that it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for an order for twenty firm MRJ90 with purchase rights to an additional twenty MRJ90s with the Eastern Air Lines Group, Inc. (Eastern Airlines 2nd) (Miami). Based on this MOU, both companies will move forward to conclude a definitive agreement in the near future. Deliveries are scheduled to commence in 2019.

Eastern previously stated they had ordered the Boeing 737-800 in order to start operations. The proposed airline is still in the FAA certification process.

Edward J. Wegel, Eastern Air Lines Group President and CEO said, ?We are extremely impressed with the operating cost benefits of the MRJ with the geared turbofan engine, which reduces seat mile costs almost to the level of current 130 ? seater aircraft. This provides an excellent scheduling and route network advantage to Eastern as we look to add a second fleet type within five years.

Thus far, 325 MRJ are on order, including 25 (15 firm, 10 option) from All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd., 100 (50 firm, 50 option) from Trans States Holdings, Inc. and 200 (100 firm, 100 option) from SkyWest, Inc.

Here's info on the 737-800/MAX order:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/re-launched-eastern-air-lines-orders-up-to-20-737s-399328/

Last edited:
:confused: Hmm, they sure have some ambitious plans.

Is this the same Air America people? That was a fiasco!

Nobody said JetBlue would last a few years when it was started... Not saying Eastern will survive or thrive like JB has, but it sounds like they might have a plan out of South Florida. The brand is very strong on the East Coast and throughout the Caribbean and Latin/South America. Perhaps they see a need for long/thin routes that others are not operating or they feel the MRJ90 will be a good feeder for the 737s. Who knows.....

I'm beginning to think that they must have some serious private equity backers.

I'm no genius by any stretch of the imagination and being from Miami, I followed things pretty closely down there during the 70s and 80s with NA, EA and PA but you've got Jetblue and Spirit in FLL with SWA now throwing their hat into the mix flying South. AAL in MIA as strong as it gets in the Caribbean and Latin America along with countless foreign flag carriers. Am I missing something, but what could possibly make the new Eastern think they can successfully jump into the fray, brand recognition or not? I'd love nothing more than to see them succeed and to provide more jobs. I just don't see it.

I'm beginning to think

Well, there you go....

It takes a few years of being in the industry to figure this out. EVERY decision by those in charge has to do with $$$$$$$$.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back