steadfast resolve on the faces of Continental pilots as we marched at Wall
Street. We are fully and completely committed to our effort. We are
unified. We are a force to be reckoned with and will not fall prey to
propaganda campaigns that are only meant to spread fear among the entire
employee group.

Second, we understand the Company cannot absorb these extraordinarily
high fuel prices. We would suggest that management pass them on to the
over 50,000,000 passengers who fly Continental each year and not the
5,000 pilots who have been cut to the core already.

I recognize the fact that, as we enter Section 6 negotiations,
management will attempt to manage pilot expectations. I also understand
management's desire to counter our overwhelmingly successful rally in the
Financial District of New York this week. However, using these types of
scare tactics in an attempt to intimidate pilots and our fellow employees
is, in my opinion, unwise and ill-advised.

Mr. Kellner, I would suggest that you task the Company's
extraordinarily high priced management and executive team to handle this issue,
without taking the easy route of once again coming to labor. The well is dry
and in need of refilling.

Capt. Jay Pierce

CAL MEC Chairman

I just wish he'd quit preaching to the choir. Don't send me this stuff - send it to a news outlet.

This message would have much more effect if I read it in the Wallstreet Journal or even USA Today.

We at APA have a saying anytime a Chief pilot or management type tries to "edumecate" us:

"My Union Speaks For Me."

We even have little business-type cards with that saying emblazoned in big letters, to hand out in case some of these folks try to engage us in "social dialogue" (read: trying to destroy unity.)

CAL pilots, give 'em hell! You are all on the right track.

Won't Be Fooled Again

I just wish he'd quit preaching to the choir. Don't send me this stuff - send it to a news outlet.

This message would have much more effect if I read it in the Wallstreet Journal or even USA Today.

Agreed!

I am more than willing to use my union dues for a full-page WSJ and USA Today add displaying this letter.

Fuel is up 10% from 100 bbl. No panic calls at $100 but indistry-wide panic at $110? Raise the fares, Larry. Raise the fares.

Don't worry - you likely won't see immediate wage cuts. Instead, they will further reduce healthcare benefits for newhires - maybe push it out to 2-3 years without healthcare coverage instead of the first 6 months. Nothing to worry about for the 777 Captains.

Don't worry - you likely won't see immediate wage cuts. Instead, they will further reduce healthcare benefits for newhires - maybe push it out to 2-3 years without healthcare coverage instead of the first 6 months. Nothing to worry about for the 777 Captains.

Of course insurance needs to be provided to new-hires day one. That said, with respect to UAL and DAL, hotels should be paid for from day one as well.

The grim reality is that I made out better than my UAL/ DAL new-hire counterparts since CAL pays for hotel and per diem costs during training. I bought a 1 yr health policy from unicare for less than $1,000 (only needed it for 6 mo. though) for my entire family when I was a new-hire. My hotel was paid for two months and I received 24/7 per diem during that period as well.

I'm not justifying CAL mgmt's abhorant treatment of new-hires (actually, our previous union leadership is to blame as well) but DAL and UAL have much cleanup to do as well in terms of how they treat their new guys. Making a new-hire pilot pay for his hotel room at a major carrier is a slap in the face to pilots. DAL/ UAL ought to hold their head in shame on that topic.

Of course insurance needs to be provided to new-hires day one. That said, with respect to UAL and DAL, hotels should be paid for from day one as well.

The grim reality is that I made out better than my UAL/ DAL new-hire counterparts since CAL pays for hotel and per diem costs during training. I bought a 1 yr health policy from unicare for less than $1,000 (only needed it for 6 mo. though) for my entire family when I was a new-hire. My hotel was paid for two months and I received 24/7 per diem during that period as well.

I'm not justifying CAL mgmt's abhorant treatment of new-hires (actually, our previous union leadership is to blame as well) but DAL and UAL have much cleanup to do as well in terms of how they treat their new guys. Making a new-hire pilot pay for his hotel room at a major carrier is a slap in the face to pilots. DAL/ UAL ought to hold their head in shame on that topic.

NWA you get a hotel for training and per diem from day 1. There's a well kept secret many people don't find out until they're in class though, that is longevity doesn't start until the date the first person in your class finishes OE rounded to the beginning or end of the month.

So you're looking at potentially 15 months at first year pay (~30/hr) at NWA which would mean 27 months before 3rd year pay. Ugly stuff being a new hire at any legacy these days.

Last edited:
NWA you get a hotel for training and per diem from day 1. There's a well kept secret many people don't find out until they're in class though, that is longevity doesn't start until the date the first person in your class finishes OE rounded to the beginning or end of the month.

So you're looking at potentially 15 months at first year pay (~30/hr) at NWA which would mean 27 months before 3rd year pay. Ugly stuff being a new hire at any legacy these days.

Wow, thats weird.

Whatever else you might say about airline management groups, they sure are skilled at coming up with weird little loopholes like this for padding out their bonuses.

I guess it's just one more thing for which all pilots need to be on alert.

Last edited:
I am not a Delta pilot or a Cal pilot so I have no horse in the race but Delta makes $19 an hour more than a Cal new hire. I would take the $19 extra and Insurance without a hotel for 2 months. But what do I know, I am on first year pay for 14 months.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back