Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vmc-hound

the most difficult approach

What was your hairyest (no not the flight attendent) approach while flying passengers as a regional Airline pilot?

or "bad or stressful approach for all the A holes out there!!!

Last edited:
"most hairyest"

Holy bad grammar bat-man!!

OK, OK, CAT II ILS in YHZ a few months back. Bumpy, poor vis, and white out conditions trying to clear and taxi. Not fun.

New Years Eve 2003, Rochester, NY..... Severe Clear, but 40-50 knot winds made for one of the most interesting approaches I've ever done. It took all my efforts to keep the airspeed within +/- 25 knots. To make matters worse I had already gone around in Erie that morning for windshear... It was the day from hell.

Going into Worcester, Mass. Atis- Vis 1/2 mile, V V 50 feet, FG. Tower calling it, indefinite ceiling, fog and 3/4 mile. Yeah right. When the GPWS yelled out "100", the captain slowly stuttered,. uh... approach lights in sight.. I've got my hands on the throttle, getting to ready to either push them forward, or pull them back. Well by the time he finished talking, the GPWS yells, "50", So I pull them back, lift the nose, look up,. and Thump. My heart rate was at 200 I swear. I couldnt have counted to 2 between the time I looked up and the time we "landed". We received a thunderous round of applause from the passengers while taxing in. I think everyone of them said good job and thanked us while deplaning.

100 indefinite & 1/2, right engine failed, in moderate rime.

Wasn't at the regionals but it had lots of hair. I do not care to repeat it, ever.

lets see, I did a visual to 28 at SYR tonight, could see the airport from over UCA, calm winds, not another plane for miles.

No, seriously, went missed off 22 at LGA a few years back. It was 200 over, a mile underneath, or so they said. Got to DH, saw the rabbits leading in, so we punch off the autopilot and kept going. Another 50, another 50 after that, nothing but row after row of white lights, nothing green. About 100 feet I started to squirm in my seat and it felt like the nose was going down a little. Just then the captain says "f... this" and we miss. Thus clearing the fog for everybody behind us. Came back around and saw the runway at 300 feet. Everybody in front of us and behind us got in, so it was the oddest thing.

How about the 15R circle to 4L at BOS? It's all good fun, but I'd rather not do it with people paying for a Part 121 ride in the back. Same story with 33R at BOS. Sure the Dash can do it if you concentrate a little, but I'd rather get in line for 33L.

LDA/DME 19 DCA.They will try to use it with the wx at mins and a roaring tailwind.How nice to break out and crank n' bank to make the runway,while being careful to avoid P56.

Roanoke, VA
VOR-A, at mins, at night, in the hills, with a 30 knot x-wind. Have fun getting down in time. Watch the mountains.

nyboilermaker said:
Roanoke, VA
VOR-A, at mins, at night, in the hills, with a 30 knot x-wind. Have fun getting down in time. Watch the mountains.

I second that....Roanoke can be a b#tch...the only thing worse is when you have to do it as a stand-up...the only thing worse than THAT is doing the F-ing stand-up and then getting extended...how many time have we "been-there-done-that"....at least we get extension pay!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back