The mood at United and thoughts about exit from Chap 11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

How's the mood at United these days. Also, I spoke to some United employees last week and they strongly belived that United will definitely come out of Chap 11 by this fall -- arguing that the load factors were at an all time high.

Any thoughts/comments. Is United here to stay?

My friend at United is very confident about the future there. He has never been one to voice opinions about his job and it shocked me to hear some of the things he had to say. Kind of made me wonder....

A friend of mine is on furlough and I see him every week. He is concerned with the recent failure to negotiate lease rates on airplanes but is very positive on the future of the company. Tilton is setting up the company to be very competitive on the routes they keep. He is not sure if he will go back with the pension gone but he thinks UAL will have a tremendous advantage over AA, NWA and DAL when they emerge from BK.

He is certain they will emerge from BK. I agree and think money is waiting on the sidelines to invest in the deal. Many are bypassing recall. Furloughees can bypass until the end of recall rights. I think they have to come back if everyone senior to them bypasses and they are the junior person on furlough. Not sure about that. We will all be surprised when they start hiring off the street. I'm thinking 2007.

FlyBoeingJets said:
he thinks UAL will have a tremendous advantage over AA, NWA and DAL when they emerge from BK.

I think your friend is right. However, I think it will be such a big advantage that AA, NWA, DAL will go BK, if only short term, to shed their pensions. There goes the advantage.

michael707767 said:
I think your friend is right. However, I think it will be such a big advantage that AA, NWA, DAL will go BK, if only short term, to shed their pensions. There goes the advantage.

Great example UAL...Bend over, then everybody has to....

The profession as we knew it and dreamed about is close to being a memory.

What do you mean CLOSE to being a memory??...for most of us IT IS!!!PHXFLYR

michael707767 said:

Agreed.

Diesel-9 said:
The profession as we knew it and dreamed about is close to being a memory.

You are so right!!! Things are just terrible for us in Purple too and will probably get worse!!!...... NOT!!!

Whatever the mood, May turned out to be a great month performance wise, despite all the distractions and threats of strikes.

The other 4 767s folks on this board were hoping would get "reposessed" - United bought.

The last round of labor negotiations was the big hurdle to clear. Another major terrorist event, which I still believe is only a matter of time, would probably be the only thing stopping coming out of Ch11.

If Tilton decides to drag the negotiations on the rest of the leases out, coming out of Ch11 may not happen until winter or spring. United has been incredibly stubborn on these leases.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back