• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The media officially knows nothing about aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm glad I'm not the NASA weenie who had to explain the concept of turbopumps to the media!

I actually think it's not a good idea to press ahead and launch tomorrow without resolving this problem.

Here's the issue:
The sensors that have been malfunctioning are not used in a normal launch- in fact they have not been used in any launch. They are intended to shut the engines down should fuel run out prematurely, to prevent the engines from doing all kinds of dramatic things. During a normal launch, the External Tank contains more fuel than the launch profile requires, even after accounting for boil-off. Should the hydrogen tank run dry due to a leak or something, the sensors would shut the engines down before the turbopumps start gulping air.

The problem is that the sensors in question have intermittantly been showing a "false empty" reading. That would create a major problem if they were to indicate empty during the ascent. The Shuttle has numerous abort scenarios for the loss of one or two main engines, but there is a long period of time when it couldn't handle the loss of all three SSMEs, since it has too much energy to return to Florida and too little energy to reach the abort sites in Europe.
Hopefully the NASA engineers are able to insert some software code that will cause the engine computers to ignore the sensors until the Shuttle is in range of Europe. I hope they did something like that, and we're not just "crossing our fingers" here.

hey 9g, you like my sig?

What worries me the most is that, "Generation X", idiots will eventually run this country not to mention be responsible for medical research.

siucavflight said:
hey 9g, you like my sig?

Golly I'm about to go cry to MissKittyKat with all the abuse I'm taking over that 1+ G comment...... pick an alternative that floats your boat......

"more than one G...."

"between one and two G's...."

"positive linear acceleration of a noticable but not excessive magnitude....."

"your mother...."

Latest resources

Back