Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9GClub

From CBSNews.com, referring to Discovery:

"The fuel gauges are needed to prevent the main engines from shutting down too soon or too late during liftoff. The first scenario could result in a risky, never-attempted emergency landing; the second could cause the engine turbines to rupture and destroy the spacecraft."

Since when does the orbiter have turbines?

9GClub said:

"The fuel gauges are needed to prevent the main engines from shutting down too soon or too late during liftoff. The first scenario could result in a risky, never-attempted emergency landing; the second could cause the engine turbines to rupture and destroy the spacecraft."

I've heard of turbine blades being used to move fuel quickly to rocket motors. I'll assume it's a turbine pump being referred to.

Lighten Up, Francis...

The poor newscaster was referring to the engine turbopumps, which move liquid fuel and oxidizer at a high transfer rate necessary to sustain rocket engine combustion.

Yes, these are "turbines," just like there are "turbines" in hydroelectric plant; and yes, they are part of the engine. So he/she was correct in referring to them as "engine turbines." Had he/she talked about "turbine engines" powering the shuttle, then I think you would have had some beef.

But let's try to keep the big picture here. Most of the people in the CNN listening audience don't understand that space has no air. So I think you're really kind of quibbling here.

Have a nice day.

9GClub said:

Why dont you go on CNN and set them straight. With your 12 hours of Cessna and Sub-Orbital Beechcraft time your experience will speak for itself. :rolleyes:

Space has no air!!??

It's 14 hours now guys. I'll have to update. Still sub-orbital though.

Since when are we not allowed to quibble on flightinfo......

Speaking of which-- and Tony C should appreciate this-- the other thing that bugs me about online news is that the punctuation/grammar/syntax sucks. I'm not talking about a dropped comma here and there, I'm talking like whole words missing from stories. They're in such a freaking hurry to get something on the page that they don't care if it's crap.

I think I need to find myself a girlfriend.

I hope the Stirling scramjets on the shuttle work tomorrow.

9GClub said:
They're in such a freaking hurry to get something on the page that they don't care if it's crap.

Well, now there you go, insulting every flightinfo.com user.

It took you this long to realize the media are idiots?

I can clearly remember back when John Kennedy Jr crashed and got killed. The media was so quick to jump in and say that the Piper Saratoga was a deathtrap of a plane and that anyone who flies one would be killed. In most other crashes, the first thing the media preaches is "pilot error" just like the FAA.

I also remember seeing a discussion forum on one of those CNN shows, with several snooty looking old dudes in suits talking about how they knew EXACTLY why that crash happened. Then the moderator (I can't remember who) brought in John King to speak about the situation over satellite link. One of the snooty old dudes looked right at John King (or at least his picture on the tv screen) and told him that he didn't know what he was talking about. I couldn't stop laughing. I mean come on, we all know John King is an annoying tool, but I would THINK that when it comes to general aviation he would know what he's talking about more than some dried up old politician who probably doesn't even know how many wings a helicopter has.

Latest resources

Back