• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The last straw

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Safety of flight" had NOTHING to do with the rule being instituted. The rule was instituted for economic reasons. "Safety" was the convenient reason argued AFTER the rule was instituted. PERSONAL economics is the egocentric argument of those who are now infuriated because the rule has been changed. Things change. If that comes as a surprise to you, get in touch with reality. Bitch and moan all you'd like. See if that does you any good. Plan for the future. Expect things to change including your expectations. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Good luck to ya if you're planning on all your dreams to come true.

Funny though how before all of this safety WAS the pulpit that ALPA stood on when ALPA was against Age 60. The only difference now is that in order for ALPA to turn pro-Age 65, it had to turn it into a pro-economic issues. I posted an article somewhere on the board here referring to directly what I am talking about. Do a search, I am sure you will find it.

By the way, I am quite in touch with reality and I do plan for the future. The only bitching and moaning I do is to myself when I don't try as hard I can to accomplish what I set out to do. With that philosophy (and a lot of free time on overnights), I've managed to earn two advanced degrees, a rising IRA, and some nice non-equity investments -- and I don't plan on flying to be my only career. So yeah, I think all of my dreams will come true ;)

If i can say go #*#$# YOURSELF.
I didn't make the pay rates. I just have to live with the wrongfull doings of previous MEC's and selfish &^*&& like yourself.
It wasn't like when i interviewed i was asked what i expect for a pay check. I get what i am given. You know that and it irritates me to death that idiots like you use your republican attitude to point the blame on the people that had nothing to do with it. Expecially when you know damm well that you start at the bottom or you don't start at all. But now we all have anouther 5 years longer at a crappy pay rate. And that my friend is just another way the senior pilots in this country screwed the young. Should have seen it coming? Sorry my crystal ball was in maint. Dork!

You not only said "Expecially", you probably pronounce it that way also. Damm? Anouther? Wrongfull? If you know during the interview you are going to get a poor paycheck, then what do you have to complain about besides your third grade English? Like somebody else already said, it seems as if you personally helped bring the industry down by taking a s$%^&y paying job.

...never had anything to do with safety....like most issues, it is all about the money...

The safety sham was the only plausible excuse that could be sold to the regional members who didn't have an "A" fund and weren't going to be eligible for social security until their mid to late 60s. In addition to age 60 being flat out age discrimination, what really stuck in my craw about this deceit:

While Duane Woerth was privately signing the Air Canada Jazz contract which permited Jazz pilots to fly into this country up to age 65, he was saying publicly that an increase in the age 60 rule was a safety issue.

ALPA was dishonest with their own dues paying members in good standing. It was never about safety.

Last edited:
The safety sham was the only plausible excuse that could be sold to the regional members who didn't have an "A" fund and weren't going to be eligible for social security until their mid to late 60s. In addition to age 60 being flat out age discrimination, what really stuck in my craw about this deceit:

While Duane Woerth was privately signing the Air Canada Jazz contract which permited Jazz pilots to fly into this country up to age 65, he was saying publicly that an increase in the age 60 rule was a safety issue.

It was never about safety.
Actually, Duane really did believe that safety was a concern with Age-60. It wasn't just something that he said in the official press releases, it was what he said behind closed doors also. But Duane also strongly believed that it wasn't his place to tell a pilot group that they couldn't have the contract that they had voted to approve, so he signed several contracts that he personally didn't like.

Actually, Duane really did believe that safety was a concern with Age-60. It wasn't just something that he said in the official press releases, it was what he said behind closed doors also.

Of course. And where were you working when Duane confided in you that working past 60 was an urgent safety concern? Was it Pinnacle?

So I guess you're asserting that ALPA's slogan "One level of safety" is meaningless hyperbole that doesn't really apply to our Canadian pilot members or the American passengers they carry - yes?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back