The High and The Mighty

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BD King

Island In The Sky was on AMC Saturday. If ya missed it, shame on you. Tonight is The High and The Mighty (check your listing). Now understand, I am partial, as I have republished both books. However, unless ya guys do not agree that today's flying is pretty darn simple compared to that of 1942 and 1953, I will not listen to your griping again...........Now then, watch The High and Mighty and observe the CRM. Look out Captains. The FO may bitch slap ya on short final.

www.bdkingpress.com

Last edited:
BD King said:
Island In The Sky was on AMC Saturday. If ya missed it, shame on you. Tonight is The High and The Mighty (check your listing). Now understand, I am partial, as I have republished both books. However, unless ya guys do not agree that today's flying is pretty darn simple compared to that of 1942 and 1953, I will not listen to your griping again...........Now then, watch The High and Mighty and observe the CRM. Look out Captains. The FO may bitch slap ya on short final.

www.bdkingpress.com

looks like they are both playing today 7/17 on AMC back to back. 1745 pst. check your local listings

I just ordered them both from Suncoast Video, they're due out on DVD in August. The bonus features include a documentary on airline flying in the '50's and well as Gentlemen of Adventure, a documentary on Ernies life and adventures....cooooool......

Good to see we have a few "Ernie" fans on this forum...

He is rolling over in his grave at the state of this industry right now!

FutureTEDpilot said:
Good to see we have a few "Ernie" fans on this forum...

He is rolling over in his grave at the state of this industry right now!

Actually, he wouldn't be surprised. He wrote about the "damned numbers" in several of his works, most notably "Fate is the Hunter".

If he is "rolling over" it is likely at the frustration that nothing has changed regarding job security in 70 years.

Ty Webb said:
Actually, he wouldn't be surprised. He wrote about the "danged numbers" in several of his works, most notably "Fate is the Hunter".

If he is "rolling over" it is likely at the frustration that nothing has changed regarding job security in 70 years.

Yup. The frustration continues.

Then, as in now, airline BODs will always take advantage of backstabbing "fellow" pilots who will agree to whore themselves out and fly cheaper than the next. Why not, it generates cash to line their golden parachutes once they rape the employees.

I caught most of Island in the sky and almost all of High and Mighty. Several parts made me giggle but the FO slapping the Captain takes the cake. I especially liked when the Captain, FO, SO and Nav and FA were standing around the cockpit smoking cigs while in cruise. And oif course the SO was the horny one tryin to get on the FA. Great times.

Gentlemen of Adventure

"Gentlemen of Adventure" copyright 1983 is not about Gann's life, that would be "Hostage to Forture" Gentlemen of Adventure is the tales of two fictional pilots through WWI, the 20's 30's 40's and 50's. Not a Gann expert but I believe is a reflection of the times protrayed through stories told to him by the old timers in the 20's, 30's and 40's. He hits all the themes in the book, jobs hard to find, starvation wages, and many of the other things pilot view as new to the profession. Great read, even has sex scenes.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
"Gentlemen of Adventure" copyright 1983 is not about Gann's life, that would be "Hostage to Forture" Gentlemen of Adventure is the tales of two fictional pilots through WWI, the 20's 30's 40's and 50's. Not a Gann expert but I believe is a reflection of the times protrayed through stories told to him by the old timers in the 20's, 30's and 40's. He hits all the themes in the book, jobs hard to find, starvation wages, and many of the other things pilot view as new to the profession. Great read, even has sex scenes.

Pilotyip -

You are correct! The BOOK Gentleman of Adventure is as you described, and is a great read! However, there was also a documenary put out a few years back under the name GentleMAN of Adventure. It is a quick documentary of Ernies life and adventures. Go here for more info:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004Y55X/fly4foodnetworki/103-1106442-3771850?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1

A Hostage to Fortune is great as well. I found my autographed copy at Goodwill for a buck!

Latest resources

Back