The guard these days

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hootie9750

Whats the current state of the remaining guard units now post BRAC? I've had a guard slot on my mind for the past 6 years but ran into some medical/family complications which put things on hold, but now I got everything taken care of and was wondering if things have changed much in past couple years (for example lots of hiring or zero hiring)? Anybody know of any particular unit with a pilot need? Currently a 27 year old airline dude who dreams of being the FNG and drinking beer in far away lands with good dudes.
Thanks for any current info!

Do you have your AFOQT or BAT tests done yet? If not, call a guard recruiter today and get one scheduled. You only have about another year or so before you are getting toward the max age, so start now. You need to be in UPT by 30 and it usually takes a year, to a year and a half to get there after you're hired. Keep in mind that most people do not get hired the first time around either, so if you tack that on as well, you are running out of time! Apply everywhere.

Start calling units and try to get in contact with the Operations Officer or Squadron Commander. They are usually the dudes with the hiring scoop. Find out what they need from you to apply and when the deadline is. If you have trouble tracking down the phone numbers, a recruiter can put you in contact with them, but remember that recruiters are NOT in charge of pilot hiring at most units.

Most units still hire 1-2 per year.

thanks for the info also

Hootie9750 thanks for asking all the questions. I'm fresh out of college and getting way too bored looking for jobs, even cfi jobs here in michigan. I need to get into a plane quickly, and traffic watch in the freeze ass cold 150 is starting to suck. I like to thank MarineGrunt for all the information.

On second note, is any one on this forum based in the Michigan Air Guard, Selfrige or Battle Creek?

Legendskid make sure you also check out the units homepages. Often times they have a section for UPT boards ect. The 104th FW over in Baltimore is accepting apps for the F-15, I believe as a result of brac they lost their A-10's and they are now have the F-15's.

Im also a relatively new CFI out of college in the Chicago area and I feel your pain! Is the A-10 unit in MI having a UPT board anytime soon?

Highflyer5532, I have a call into the Red Devils Hiring guy so when he gets back to me I'll PM you.

probably another newbee question but can a pilot living in a different state be able to fly for a squad in another state?

Last edited:
Yes I have heard its possible but not really reccomended, especially if your in a fighter wing. Some guard units require that you live within a certain distance. For example I think the F15 unit out in Portland wants you to live within 50 miles of the unit. On the other hand I have also heard of a few guys that live in Chicago and fly for the guard or reserves out of milwaukee. From what others have told me, most guys live where there guard unit is and then commute to their airline job.

Latest resources

Back