• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"The Good Old Days"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually the dog will have no tail, and a particularly bad memory of props. But there will still be a dog. And the ADF will be a fixed card, enough of RMIs. No GPS allowed.

I intend to call it the "Ace Flying School," because that is the most common slur used against inadequite schools. "Passing Wind Aviation" was a runner-up. It has to look right, sound right, feel right, and be the best school in the area. Because....

Airline pilots make seat-per-miles, but

Flight Instructors make Airline Pilots!

Don't forget where you came from.

Older school

And the ADF will be a fixed card...

ADFs? Pshaw! Let 'em listen for the null between "A" and "N", then solve the 180-degree ambiguity. Better yet, follow the railroad to the nearest water tower, staying just right of the tracks to avoid opposite-direction traffic. ;)

Don't forget the old couch mended with duct tape, the large planning chart on the front wall and the coffee cups hanging in the back room (you could tell who had been there the longest by the amount of sludge in the bottom of the cup.). And when you were a new CFI, you learned to always beware of other CFI's giving away students...

While I would love to get rid of track suits and pajamas on passengers and about 40 years and pounds from the FAs, don't forget that generation ME has some heroes too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman

Ditto. I personally think "generation me" involves the 30-40 crowd. I was a junior in high school during 9/11 and enlisted in the Marines to go kick terrorist @$$ upon graduation. Two of my friends paid the ultimate price.

ADFs? Pshaw! Let 'em listen for the null between "A" and "N", then solve the 180-degree ambiguity. Better yet, follow the railroad to the nearest water tower, staying just right of the tracks to avoid opposite-direction traffic. ;)
Or a Navy pilot on the wrong side of the tracks :p

Don't forget the old couch mended with duct tape, the large planning chart on the front wall and the coffee cups hanging in the back room (you could tell who had been there the longest by the amount of sludge in the bottom of the cup.). And when you were a new CFI, you learned to always beware of other CFI's giving away students...
Following the string back to the hole was always the best way to find where you were without having to ask anyone :)

While I would love to get rid of track suits and pajamas on passengers and about 40 years and pounds from the FAs,

Looky here, Mr. Morals is calling all FA's fat and old. Shouldn't you be more concerned with their ability to do the job than their looks?

Looky here, Mr. Morals is calling all FA's fat and old. Shouldn't you be more concerned with their ability to do the job than their looks?

All our cabin attendants are cute, petit, gracious and they do the job just fine. I don't think you need cankles and a bitchy attitude to be a cabin attendant, but maybe that is just me

Hang in there guys..we'll get back to the good ol days when:

1) We start taking pride in ourselves, our profession...and demand respect!!!
2) Hire pilots that do this because flying is their passion...not because they're "2nd generation airline", "just supplementing income", or state: "It has been my experience...".
2) Double ticket prices
3) Employ only the finest (as in hottest) 'Stewardesses'.
4) Return to old school business tactics.
5) Outlaw new airlines, like Skybus.
6) Restrict commuter pilot hiring to the majors until they have 10-15 years of servitude.
7) Bar any airline from lowering prices, "$39/ONE WAY!!!.... to the point of insanity
8) Reenstate inflight meals.
9) Bring back metal pilot wings for children...and damn their eyes if they hurt themselves.

let bring back regulation, just like the good ole days. Life was good for a few pilots under regulation. There are probably 4-5 times as many pilot’s jobs now as there was in 1977. Back in reg time it was about 90% military that went to the majors. Dereg opened up a lot of airline job to non-military pilots. To return to regulation would raise ticket prices, reduce the number of passengers, and therefore reduce the number of pilots needed.

Latest resources

Back