• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"The Good Old Days"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Almost forgot, CRJ. I read that article you posted when it first came out a few months back. When that miserable old fart croaks, I will make it a quest to find out where he's buried and piss on his grave.

Sign me up!

What a complete assbag that old man is... He is actually proud of completely wrecking the industry and ensuring decades of losses for employees, investors, and anyone else dumb enough to be associated wih any airline.

-Seriously-are $59 fares to Fresno really worth all the wreckage these morons wrought? Just imagine what all the airlines have lost since this old gasbag pushing deregulation through congress.....

-Actually gloating-amazing!

FYI....the original post is not not mine. I simply found it and decided to post it without comment. I'm not old enough to have been there, and my flying is purely for fun; even my airline dispatch days may be over the way it looks. But I thought I'd put it out there just for fun....I'm sure those days were just like any other time, a mix of good and bad, remembered as we wish.

I don't get warm fuzzies about the airlines, old or new. What is vanishing from the world are the old-school FBOs with cut-shirt-tails on the wall next to yellowing polaroids of first solos. Teenagers obsess on Facebook and buy anything they want from Ebay and Craigslist. They certainly aren't out at the airport washing planes for rides. The steamgauge trainers are finally reaching the end of their lives along with the piston twins. A MILLION BUCKS for a piston Baron! The classic flight school is vanishing.

I've read that a third of all operating flight schools have vanished since 9/11. Remember the styrofoam cup compass? Remember that Sporty's C152 panel poster with the ugly brown plastic Cessna used? I have a framed one. Someday I will retire and recreate an old flight school, right down to the cheesy toy cardboard plane with the moveable control surfaces. I might even use old Jepp hoods for IFR. No glass, no retracts, no turbos. Real live working ADFs!

Maybe this is a thread segway, but this part of our heritage is vanishing right before our eyes. I'm still a CFI. I will always be a CFI. I hate to see it go.

A few less flight schools/puppy mills could'nt hurt.

phr8dawg....

I hear you. I learned to fly in the mid '70s at a flying club that was pretty much just like you described....lots of shirttails hanging all around the room, all of the old low-tech learning devices (I remember when we got our first desktop flight simulator...the ATC 510, I think? It was quite a sensation!). Although we can't do much to stop the march of technology (and should we try?), maybe the Sport Pilot certificate will help keep some of that "fly just for the sake of flying" spirit alive. I gave up my dream of flying professionally many years ago (thankfully, before investing lots of $$$), and realized that I was happiest when things were as simple as possible. Give me a blue sky, some green grass, and a yellow J-3 with the door open and leave me alone....I'll be back in an hour, will never climb above 500 feet, and will be smiling for days.
On the other hand, I was rereading Richard Bach's "Nothing By Chance" recently, as he recounts barnstorming aroung the midwest in the 1960s. Even THEN he was lamenting about the planes sitting around unused, the lack of activity at the small airports, and worried about the future of general aviation. I don't want to see us go the way of Europe, but maybe things will still turn out OK.
When you start that FBO, let me know. I'd love to drop by....

Someday I will retire and recreate an old flight school, right down to the cheesy toy cardboard plane with the moveable control surfaces. I might even use old Jepp hoods for IFR. No glass, no retracts, no turbos. Real live working ADFs!

Maybe this is a thread segway, but this part of our heritage is vanishing right before our eyes. I'm still a CFI. I will always be a CFI. I hate to see it go.

Don't leave out the ripped screen door, a dog with an infected ear, and some dead flys. :)

Latest resources

Back