• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The future of "NEWCO"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
“NEWCO” will be the biggest variable in this ugly game at NWA, Pinnacle and Mesaba and possibly the future regional who will purchase “NEWCO”. The following is a pessimistic view of NEWCO and I welcome any optimism.

According to senior management "NEWCO" WILL fly 100 seat jets at regional pay as MYNAMEISJIM stated. Management already considers this a fact. NEWCO might be a new regional (operated by furloughed NWA Pilots), or a division of mainline (C-Scale), or something else that no one has mentioned.

Initially NEWCO was intended to fly 100 seat jets. However, after the Bankruptcy senior management stated that the cost differences between operating 70 seaters at a Regional vs. at Mainline have become “negligible.” And, subject to significant negotiations, 70 seaters could realistically be flown by mainline pilots (at regional wages) i.e “NEWCO”.

If NWA pilots create a separate division, I predict “NEWCO” will become the next generation MidAtlantic. Created to give the impression of saving mainline jobs and providing jobs to furloughs (as DC-9s are quietly replaced by RJs at regional wages) and later sold to gain financing in order to exit bankruptcy. I can’t think of any contract language to prevent this because a judge can approve anything if it is “necessary” for the survival of the company and to exit bankruptcy.

U.S. Airways created MidAtlantic ("NEWCO") while in bankruptcy and sold it to Chautauqua in order to exit bankruptcy. A genius management idea if you ask me. The average (almost all) NWA pilots have never even heard of MidAtlantic and most, who have heard of it, don’t know what happened. Those who don’t learn from the past are doomed to have it repeated. The NWA pilots may rationalize their concessions because they are saving their pensions. That is exactly how U.S Airways and United saved their pensions. Oh wait? They still turned them over to the PBGC. Again, we are destined to repeat our mistakes.

The irony is some 22 year old RJ First Officer will be annoyed when an ex-NWA DC9/A319/A320/757/A330/747 First Officer holds captain but is more junior to him/her in their newly acquired 100 +/- seat RJs. But don’t worry, it won’t be long before that 22 year old makes captain and now has his seat and seniority.

Last edited:
With 1000 or so furloughed mainline NWA guys out there, I am not too worried about any 22 year old pilots flying any for NEWco anytime soon, if it happens at all. With a four + year wait for any embrarer product and the crappy stats on the CRJ700-900, I think the DC-9 at lower wages becomes alot more viable.

Flyinisforbirds said:
The irony is some 22 year old RJ First Officer will be annoyed when an ex-NWA DC9/A319/A320/757/A330/747 First Officer holds captain but is more junior to him/her in their newly acquired 100 +/- seat RJs. But don’t worry, it won’t be long before that 22 year old makes captain and now has his seat and seniority.

I would be annoyed too. How would you like it? Dang, the most hated people in aviation are "22 year old RJ First Officers". Like they are in on the board of directors meetings and decide how many mainline jobs get cut. But I guess if you aren't bitching, you aren't a pilot, right?

Flyinisforbirds said:
“NEWCO” will be the biggest variable in this ugly game at NWA, Pinnacle and Mesaba and possibly the future regional who will purchase “NEWCO”.

*yawn*

I'll believe it when I see it. Management may want that and even if the pilots agree to it, they still have to pay the mechanics, FA's, rampies, gate agents, etc. of NWA.

If they are going to hire there own people for each of those jobs, that makes getting this thing off the ground (pardon the pun) even more difficult.

Starting an airline from scratch is hard enough when times are good. How the hell is NWA going to do that when they are bankrupt?

Not likely.

I agree with butters. The pilots already agreed to fly a 70 seater at comparible rates. Why wasn't it done? No one could get the 30.00/hr bag handler, or 30 year seniority FA or gate agents to go along with it. Do you really think that these groups are going to tolerate it when the judge tries to ram it down their throats? It would be easier to start NEWCO or throw the planes to PCL or XJ? I think the Airlinks will get unlimited 70's, and NEWCO will be the new Midatlantic. The hand writing is on the wall.

Northwest has been looking in this candy store for quite awhile. Now that the doors are blown off, we are going to see how nasty it gets. Just use their pre-bankruptcy actions as a guideline. Good luck to all, its going to be a bumpy ride.

NWAREDTAIL,

Correct me if I am wrong, but U.S. Airways has approximately 1900 pilots on furlough. The furloughed pilots who were employed at MidAtlantic (U.S. Airways version of NEWCO) will soon be junior to many Chautauqua pilots as Chautauqua simply acquired the MidAtlantic assets. If I am wrong on this please correct me and tell me what really happened.

When NWA sells NEWCO to raise cash during the process of exiting bankruptcy I would assume the NEWCO (ex NWA pilots) would probably go with the assets but loose seniority. For example, if 18 months from now Mesa purchases NEWCO, I would assume NEWCO pilots (formerly NWA) would be extended the courtesy of going with the airplanes and keeping their seat but would be junior to many (if not all) Mesa pilots.

Last edited:
NWAredtail ain't so bright read some of his other posts. He lacks the ability to look at things objectively. Me thinks he is an emotional type.

A legacy airline starting up a low cost carrier.

It worked so stellar for United (TED)
and Delta (Song)

Can't wait to see NW's

Heck, TED just started flying to Miami, I think it is still expanding. Of course, it sucks that the mainline UAL base at MIA is no longer there.

Latest resources

Back