• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The French are coming!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is not the first time that the US has bought a foreign airplane.. BaE Hawk, aka T-45, and the English Electic Canbera Bomber, aka B-57. The B-57 was actually built under license though and both were British products if that makes you feel better. I can't think of anything else off of the top of my head.

The US has fought with French aircraft in the past, ie, Eddie Rickenbacker had some confirmed kills in a Nieuport in WW I. So this actually goes back to the beginning of US involvement in aerial warfare.

Actually, Airbus parent EADS is a Dutch company, although partly owned by the French. Here's a breakdown of ownership, admittedly from Wikipedia (although, AFAIK, it is accurate, and agrees with other sources I've seen).

As of 3 July 2007 41.63% of EADS stock is publicly traded on six European stock exchanges, while the remaining 58.37% is owned by a "Contractural Partnership".[19] The latter is owned by SOGEADE (27.38%), Daimler AG (22.41%), SEPI (5.46%) and Dubai Holding (3.12%).[20] SOGEADE is owned by the French State and Lagardère, while SEPI is a Spanish state holding company. France also owns 0.06% of publicly traded stock.[19]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EADS

since the tanker doesnt brandish weapons, and primarily shows its backside in combat. . .The French airplane is perfect for the mission . .

In 2004, Congress, led by Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, banned the Air Force from working out a lease and purchase deal with Boeing after a federal investigation uncovered improprieties at the highest levels of the Air Force procurement process.

He just lost my vote....

So who gets your vote? Hillary? Barak?

Whatever.

In 2004, Congress, led by Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, banned the Air Force from working out a lease and purchase deal with Boeing after a federal investigation uncovered improprieties at the highest levels of the Air Force procurement process.

He just lost my vote....

I dislike McCain because of his Keating 5 involvement, McCain-Feingold and his stance on immigration. I respect him because of his willingness to swim upstream even against his own party when he thinks it's the right thing to do. That's a rare commodity these days. Case in point, he stood up and said "No" to an American icon business when the evidence suggested they weren't playing by the rules. Frankly, I like that and think we need more of it.

As far as this deal goes, it looks like the better product and the better deal won the contract. To complain that we awarded a contract to the French is incorrect and uninformed. The parts for this thing are from all over and it will be assembled mainly in the good ol' US of A.

Boeing ********************ed up. Plain and simple. If this were a deal with the Chinese I might feel differently, but everyone involved in this is an ally. Stop falling for the headlines and actually educate yourself about this deal.

All those in favor of over paying for the less capable product, raise you hand.

Anyone?

Didn't think so. Congrats to EADS. About time we made some ground on this issue. The USAF needs this.

I'm assuming that every single one of those that are anti EADS and pro Boeing drives a GM, Ford or Chrysler. No?

If it's the better plane, then America got it's money's worth. Stop worrying about some wrench turners in Seattle and think big picture. All you bus haters better be glad Airbus exists. If it weren't for them Boeing would probably still be cranking out 72s. Competition is good!

Latest resources

Back