• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Flight Surgeon Is Not Your Friend

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK, well said and timely to an other wise negative review of flight surgeons. However, I have a problem when even people close up and personal to the military medical community use the words "luck of the draw." The military does not rely on Luck. Every thing is planned, studies and mapped. What I am saying is that at a point pre 9/11 military medicine got a rubber stamp without question. And people using their "own dime" to circumvent the system indicates a serious problem still exists.

I am not disputing skills, it is attitude to duty, follow through and dedication to a profession that I question. There are back up systems all through aviation to prevent pilots from making serious mistakes (human error). Military doctors have no back up. What they say and do is final at Rucker and Rucker is where your orders are processed. Someone puts a stop on that it takes more than a dime to get things going again.

Doctors know this and I am saying they abuse the system for selfish reasons. Luck should have nothing to do with aviation. Luck is the game we play between missions.

My Point, and I do have one...

Noted that there are qualified professionals as well as weasels out there. I took my first flight physical in 1975 and my final one in 2001. Through all of those physicals and physicians my recommendation remains...given the choice of "confiding" a medical or personal problem (Lord help you if you ever mention the word 'depression') with your flight surgeon and keeping it from him/her...I would say that the safest thing to do, because of all the a-holes out there, is to seek outside help and keep it to yourself. The risks are simply too great to your flying career to do otherwise.

Thomas R - ref your quote:

"The military does not rely on Luck. Every thing is planned, studies and mapped..." um...

In the immortal words of John McEnroe, "..you cannot be serious!..."

Birdstrike said:
..................... "The military does not rely on Luck. Every thing is planned, studied and mapped..." um...

In the immortal words of John McEnroe, "..you cannot be serious!..."
It has been my experience, then, that any mission I was sent on had been planned out using current field data. Once the $hit hits the fan it looks and feels random but I never went into an area that, at least, was not anticipated to be a hot spot. And doctors should not be random in their diagnosis either. They should know what they are doing not throwing $hit at the wall to see what sticks.

Please excuse me to all the professionals, but my experience with flight surgeons is quite limited; and you can see what one "bad apple" does to your profession.

&*#!!! CENSORS $$$$

FYI - as i recall the term N.A.M.I. stands for naval air medical institute. its where you take your first flight physical. some guys get dinged on eyes, one guy got dinged on his heart and was sent home. if its your eyes they will offer you an NFO position. my recommendation is take the job. its a much better position in the navy and marines then in the air force. NFOs get much more respect than there counterparts in the air force. or thats the way it used to be. it may be different now but back in the 80s NFOs could career track to squadron and air wing command positions, i don't think that is the same in the air force.

Nambi Pambi

OK, noted; Nami wimpie or something is Air Force jargon I get it. I expect the Air Force and the Army pull their recruitment med. personnel from the same pile. I don't give a rats a$$ about them. Slip them a couple bucks and a sob story and you will pass just fine. You got a 80% wash out rate anyway, big deal.

What I am talking about are the ones assigned to an aviation unit. Part of the group, esprit de corps, simper fie, yahda yadha. The ones you meet in the Officers Club, in the mess hall, on the flight line. These are the rat faced weazels I am talking about. [and it is weazel not weasel, I put them into a class all to themselves. I don't even want to equate them with a cute little rodent.]

If you are in a combat unit they keep you running like a fine Swiss watch. You could be a "mass murderer" and they would ignore the obvious. Once you get state side they become some kind of rouge agent. Something sneaky and covert. Advice: DON'T PI$$ THEM OFF . Like said in an earlier post, "they are not your friend." You can get 10,000 outside opinions both civ. and mil. to counter the deed and Rucker ignores all. Once you are marked, Rucker regards you as tainted goods.

It's just my experience, what else can I say? :(

BWatz said:
I leave for Navy OCS very soon and I'm sweating the "Nami-Whami". I guess it's one of those things that is out of your control.
Far from the truth. I was sweating the vision back when I knew I was going to be in front of those folks. I did something about it....went to a civlian, learned a lot about my eyes and that my vision could be improved without surgery. I also learned a lot about how best to prepare for a vision test...ie. getting plenty of rest and a good nutrition prior to the test, etc. Anyway, my point is that just like a backround check, you should go see a civilian doctor long before the NAMI folks start fondling your private parts so that you may know what sort of things they might find. If you find some "trouble spots" early on, you can correct them and go into that whami-zone feeling confident that you'll get the up-chit.

Freight Dog,
I guess I now know where I'll be getting my physicals now that Doc Scaff is retiring!

Hugh,
Thanks for the advice. I work for an eye doc (part-time), and get exams all the time. I've got 20-15 vision, and I'm still sweating the physical. I'm in great physical shape with perfect vision, but I'm still worried. I've heard to many horror stories. I've hit the Dentist, Optometrist, and Physician this week so hopefully there won't be any surprises. Either way I'm not looking forward to "the finger". BTW, thanks to all the Navy guys on the board who helped me along the way.

I just had my physical done over in Meridian, all I can say is "Doc" the Flight Surgeon down there is a hell of a nice guy.

Patmack18,

I appreciate the tip. I did not think about the tired part. I can see how that would mess up your vision. I assume once you pass that physical you are good to go.(atleast I hope) I've been running my @ss off so hopefully it will soften the "kick in the balls" that I am about to experience. Thanks again. Congrats on that jet slot!

the only flight surgeon i've seen was coast guard, and he was a good guy. he told me I could go see a different optometrist since my test up there was borderline. the navy optometrist though i didn't especially like. he gave me a depth perception test and was saying i must have trouble driving with such bad depth perception and playing sports, much less flying. i have 20/15 vision and i have no trouble with depth perception flying in the civilian world. anyway, i just went to an opthometrist today who was a USAFA graduate, he made it clear i can never fly in the military.

off-topic with this question but, do all the government agencies like ICE, Border Patrol, ATF, etc. use military flight physicals for their pilots or do they go with FAA flight physicals?

Latest resources

Back