Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The downward slide of....... crew meals.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well we were running late one day, all the stores were closed... My company called ahead and had Pizza Hut delievered to the airport for our crew meals..... Thought that was kinda nice. One of the good stories dealing with crew meals however.

Same team!

Slam Clicker and Mambo20,

You work for the same carrier!
It's all on the local, go there to read and vent.

Was there an ops report...Probably not, I haven't seen it!

Most people don't know the contract or side letters concerning crew meals, you'd be shocked at how many people get crew meals that are not supposed to receive them, then stick someone that is supposed to get one with this situation. After hours in CLT are difficult to get meals period, This has since, supposedly been corrected.

PSACPSP

Yes they have corrected it, they are now stocking Extra Crew meals in CLT because of these situations...

Well, its Food!!! :)

Mainly, at PDT and probably PSA... If you are not given or have a 45min. break within 6 Hours of continuous duty time, the company must either give you 45 min. to get something to eat (delaying the flight) or they give you crew meals, which helps each other out. You continue flying while grabbing your food and taking it with you.
Sometimes they are good hot meals, but mostly Hoggies and Sandwhich's Chips, apple, cookies..... etc.
Comes in handle on a day that you working hard and don't really have a time for a break.

WSurf said:
Well, its Food!!! :)

Mainly, at PDT and probably PSA... If you are not given or have a 45min. break within 6 Hours of continuous duty time, the company must either give you 45 min. to get something to eat (delaying the flight) or they give you crew meals, which helps each other out. You continue flying while grabbing your food and taking it with you.
Sometimes they are good hot meals, but mostly Hoggies and Sandwhich's Chips, apple, cookies..... etc.
Comes in handle on a day that you working hard and don't really have a time for a break.

Must be 45 minutes at PDT, Here at PSA, It's 1 hour at Hub city and 45 minutes at an out station....There are other stipulations such as minimum 7 hr day, 6.5 hours for first meal break, 6 hours for next. Can't start a day with crew meal first leg, etc. etc. Can be somewhat complicated.

Those were hogies? Hummm. There is no better crew meal than in CLT at 8pm when the "hogies" were delivered at 8am. And, why do all the "hogies" have peppercinos on them? Is that a NorthCarolina or Nascar thing?

You have'nt lived until you have had a "crew meal" on an aircraft carrier. We used to call them "Bag nasties", because they came in a brown paper sack. Typcially, the contents were "rainbow ham" (you know the kind) and cheese sandwiches, a couple of generic cans of canker sore producing pineapple juice an apple and if you were lucky some cookies.
It usually worked out better for us on a "pony run" (mail) to the smaller ships in the battle group. Everyone loved to see us bringing mail, and the crew usually hooked us up with sodas and pretty good chow (fried chicken, sliders, etc...). One ship that really stood out was the USS Cowpens and their world famous "Cowpies". These were actually THE best hamburgers in the Pacific Fleet. I don't know if that tradition has been carried on, but it is a fond memory. I also recall on my first deployment dropping off mail and the deck crew gave me a big bag of freshly baked cinnamon rolls.
The best places to eat at airports usually are off the beaten track. When I was based in BKW (Beckley, W.V.) the restaraunt there is outstanding and very reasonably priced. Big airport-wise, I liked to hit Legal Seafoods in the main terminal in Boston if I had the time. Lots of good places for BBQ in CLT nearby the airport, if you like Carolina style BBQ, so hopefully thats where I'll renew my appetite for vinegar BBQ...So, I guess this could be considered a thread hijacking:) Where do you guys get the best BBQ flying the line these days...

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Latest resources

Back