Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The downward slide of....... crew meals.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Used to be able to get that cheeseburger from the Speedway grill for $4.95, but they went up about the time our vouchers went down.

I'm gonna have to throw another beer on the owe you list for the day room thing. No wonder we don't have any of those regional airline of the year stickers on our airplanes.

Our vouchers at PSA in CLT were $10. We recently stopped getting vouchers in lieu of unscheduled crew meals, and now ops keeps a number of extra crew meals on hand to handle the unscheds. The vouchers were a contract violation. Whenever I got them I still delayed the flight in order to take my contractual 1 hours break whenever possible.

I was hoping you'd tell me that ya'll were down to $5 too. We were told it was airways that made the decision to drop ours to $5. I guess they figure it doesn't take as much food to fly a Dash as it does a CRJ. Cheap bastards..... They aren't in our contract either. It was a way to work with the company to keep the airplanes on schedule. Then they stepped on us again.....

When that $5 thing happened, most of us stopped taking them, but as usual, many guys backed down. Or just took them anyway complaining the whole way to get the cheeseburger. I've had near confrontations about them with a couple of CA's who wanted to take the voucher instead of getting to the overnight a little late. Then it was me backing down to preserve cockpit civility. Always seemed to happen on the last leg of the first day on a 4 or 5 day trip. Also never seemed like something worth disturbing the peace over.

Now if we could just get them to stop putting banana peppers on the subs. Those things are a leading cause of morning mudbutt.

Last edited:
The date they went to $5 dollars is probably the same date that PSA's went away.

My argument was you can't eat a piece of paper but a voucher was given to keep the flow of schedules going.

The idea was to Grab food and keep it moving but taking the hour as well was new to me, never heard of anyone doing that...I had heard of Captain USA waiting an hour to get the Voucher.....Dork Pilot, your not Captain USA are you???

Relax it was a joke, Enjoy the "Sick Sack", That's what I heard them called.....Vouchers are gone. Heck, I'd love to get rid of Crew meals as well but that would require Scheduling efficiency which is never going to happen.....

Remember, the first step to fixing a problem is admiting there is a problem.
PSACPSP

OPECJet said:
I was hoping you'd tell me that ya'll were down to $5 too. We were told it was airways that made the decision to drop ours to $5. I guess they figure it doesn't take as much food to fly a Dash as it does a CRJ. Cheap bastards..... They aren't in our contract either. It was a way to work with the company to keep the airplanes on schedule. Then they stepped on us again.....

When that $5 thing happened, most of us stopped taking them, but as usual, many guys backed down. Or just took them anyway complaining the whole way to get the cheeseburger. I've had near confrontations about them with a couple of CA's who wanted to take the voucher instead of getting to the overnight a little late. Then it was me backing down to preserve cockpit civility. Always seemed to happen on the last leg of the first day on a 4 or 5 day trip. Also never seemed like something worth disturbing the peace over.

Now if we could just get them to stop putting banana peppers on the subs. Those things are a leading cause of morning mudbutt.

We did get rid of crew meals a while back. It was one of our "concessions". As a result the schedules went downhill because of the meal breaks that had to be built in. There were three hour breaks every day on every trip. Personally, I'll take a crew meal every day if it means I don't have to sit for three hours.

I'm not captain USA but I did insist on the hour break a few times when I was given a voucher in LGA and CLT.

Working at colgan, this stuff is all pretty interesting to read about. There is absolutely zero crew meals or any kind of food at colgan. There are no breaks to get any food at colgan what so ever. And, unless you are doing an overnight, there is zero per diem. You guys get per diem on top of these crew meals? Our place will never change, all the senior ones have been jumping ship this year. Throw in the outstation basing...and no one ever communicates to form a plan to get things changed. The only hope is at IAH where i think eventually 60 pilots will all be based together. Problem is we have around 400.

Latest resources

Back