Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The damning attitude of the 65% group at Skywest thats hurting the industry....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Please dont lump me in with the group of kool-aid drinkers. Ive spent my time at an ALPA carrier (TSA) during contract negotiations, and I know how that goes. I'm certainly not so naive as to believe that SAPA is an MEC that does any real negotiating. But from what I understand, Skywest management really wants to get a new payrate set soon. With that kind of fire lit under management, I believe Bill S wont present us with just any proposal. He's already said that he's turned down a couple of the company's offers..

But I should make sure to say, just as a pre-emptive defense, that you're right, it wont come out as the highest rates in the industry, and its certainly not gonna make up for those years of lost COLA. I wasnt around during the "deal the ace" saga, or else I'd probably have a completely different outlook this time around, but like I said.. I have cautious optimism..

Last edited:
I would like to know how many of these guys are getting hired at ALPA majors. The big guys DO pay attention to these toolbags. I hate to see the whole group held accountable, but you know they will be......

There is never any shortage of people in this industry who are ready and willing to screw their fellow pilots-just ask Skynation!

I hear they're doing just fine getting on at Continental.:laugh:

Just had a Delta guy in my SkyWest jumpseat that said Delta wants more folks from SkyWest to apply. I told him we probably aren't applying because those of us who want to move on feel there is a stigma because a majority of us voted ALPA down. He was surprised by this thinking, and encouraged both my F/O and I to apply. It was a good conversation. Oh, and he was former ASA.

I voted for ALPA, but I was in the minority. RE: Jumpseat war: Not a good idea. There are a lot of folks at SkyWest who were on the fence...when ALPA and the OC went after SAPA(as an illegal organization) it sent a lot of them to the "con" side. It was unfortunate. After that lawsuit was filed, and word got around, I spent a lot of my time trying to explain why ALPA would do that...and not much time talking about the positives of ALPA representation. That was sad, because it was unnecessary. I believe that part of the lawsuit(the rest of the points in the suit are really good and valid...ALPA should have access to ALL forums that SAPA has access to), MAY have cost us the election. If that lawsuit sent some guys over to the "con" side of the fence, how do you think a jumpseat war is going to help?(beside taking out your frustration on another pilot who is probably trying to get home?). It will come off as another power trip to the (possibly) on the fence pilot you are rejecting. Obviously, you don't care. That's fine, but you are making it much more difficult for those of us staying at SkyWest to get our cohorts to vote in Union Representation. On those grounds, I could reject you the next time you try to jumpseat(oh, but you don't commute, do you?), or I will just reject all of those pilots from your airline. Thus, the folks who are actually the problem are not "taught" anything, and those who have done nothing but ask for a ride home are punished.

It simply amazes me when a jumpseat war is threatened...because it shows a formidable lack of foresight. Just like it amazes me when my fellow SkyWest pilots don't have the foresight to see the need for legally binding representation. Same problem(it's all about me and how I feel TODAY), different ways of showing the symptoms.

Oh I've let it go, just like any Skywest jumpseaters. You won't help out the industry, and me, I won't help you. I won't deny you, but if we are one single solitary pound over weight, then you are walking. Just about as much help as you gave all of us.

I don't suppose you have the nads to tell us who you fly for so I can reciprocate in kind? Tool...

BTW I voted yes.

What has Alpa done for anybody lately? Screwed over the US Air pilots.

How has ALPA screwed over the USAir guys? The USAir/AmWest situation is a direct result of two parties that refused to compromise with each other. In this case their arbitrator (not an alpa employee) mostly sided with the West pilots to the detriment of the East guys. Thats the risk you take when you put anything in front of an arbitrator.

Abandoned the TWA pilots.

If you buy into the conspiracy theory, yeah they got screwed. If you're not into wild conspiracies, they got screwed by the APA.

Blatently went against the majority over the age 60 issue, and didn't even offer an explanation.

The decision to support the elimination of age 60 was made by the ALPA board of directors (individual MEC chairmen voting on behalf of their entire pilot group). ALPA national did not force any of the 40+ MEC chairmen to vote against the wishes of their pilots. They voted the way they did after careful consideration of all the facts.

I presume you don't have the facts though, right?

and yet another brilliant thread...written by none other than an ALPA author.

jeez...i don't think the industry is the way it is because skyw isn't alpa.

I recommend a hobby or something

Yeah, no SkyWest pilot can get hired at a major... that's why my seniority has dropped 10 numbers in the last two weeks.

-Goose

I still dont understand the idea that just because Skywest isnt union that it automatically makes us freeloaders. I understand your argument of TCAS and EGPWS (which we're all greatful for), but if these improvements to safety are thanks to ALPA, then, by your definition, shouldnt all teamster (or APA or SWAPA) pilots be labeled freeloaders as well?

and if you're argument of freeloading is based on negotiations, pay rates, and industry leading contracts, that begs the question who has the best work rules? who is at the head of the pack? and does that make anybody that has it worse than that carrier a freeloader off of any improvement that they have?

I know for a fact that we dont have the worst work rules and pay in the business. So if a union carrier goes into negotiations and uses our policy manual as a good guide, does that make them a free loader?

The answer to your post is right here...

Blaming Skywest for our industry's problems is close minded and not very observant. You want a source to blame, then blame our own Government for deregulation. That's what hurt the industry!!

How does one engage the gov't?

Does SKYW pilots engage the gov't?

Does ALPA?

Now... as long as there are pilots who REFUSE to engage thier gov't they will be freeloaders to those who do....

is the light maybe....hopefully... beginning to flicker?

Latest resources

Back