• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The CPI and You

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Computers have decreased in price dramatically.
How many computers are manufactured here in the US?

Sorry Jungle, but some of us are not perfect, and won't work for free. I make more than most 12 year captains at the regionals. We need to stand up and say no. You pay me!!! I don't pay you. We need to stand up. I don't say you are the blame, but we need to stand up and say no, that is the only way things will get better. Say no, and stick together, and get rid of ALPO, our biggest enemy!!!

Guess what Merlin, you have the choice! Don't take the friggin' job. This is America this is (sort of) a free country, nobody is forcing anyone to take a substandard job.

Do you think these days that people are uneducated about Mesa, Gulfstream, Colgan, etc? Of course not, yet they go there in droves (though I hear Mesa is having some issues with being short-staffed).

My point being that we as a work group control this, not management, and certainly not the clowns at ALPA.

How many computers are manufactured here in the US?

According to this report, about half. Computer manufacturing in this country is about a $41 billion dollar business.

I assume you were trying to hint that computers are getting cheaper because greedy capitalists are simply outsourcing the manufacturing, but that's not necessarily the case.

According to this report, about half. Computer manufacturing in this country is about a $41 billion dollar business.

I assume you were trying to hint that computers are getting cheaper because greedy capitalists are simply outsourcing the manufacturing, but that's not necessarily the case.
Who said I was trying to hint? I was ASKING a question because I did not know the answer. But since you do bring up that report, I will ask another question: Is it finally assembled here in the US, or is the manufacturing of all the components completed here in the US too?

But yes, I will make the connection that cheap labor costs over seas are what have helped drive computer costs down.

I made my mistake by going to a regional...I learned from it..and I will seek employment outside aviation before I go back to another regional. Did you know you can START in a warehouse making $40k a year with full benefits , retirement (in the form of deferred savings) AND get re-imbursed for your masters degree 100%? What does the BEST regional out there offer that can compete with that? Too many pilots don't heed the advice given to them before they jump head first into the airlines. Everybody thinks they will be the exception, and that they will have a grand old time flying..."Well, the pay sucks...but man, I get to fly a JET! How bad can it really be? Besides, I'll be here for only 5-7 years before going to SWA or FedEx"

Riiiiiiight...get in line behind the thousands of other pilots who came up with that idea.

Pilots have to look around them and realize the airline they are with now MAY be their career. No more of this BS attitude of "It's only a stepping stone, I'll let someone else fix it"

Pilots need to collectively put their foot down to improve their working conditions and compensation.

Relax bud, it seems that we are actually in agreement here.

We have a choice: work under crappy conditions or not. More often than not, we choose to ignore crappy conditions hoping for that 1000PIC.

I disagree that regionals will be a career. The corp/frac/charter world is booming, and on the verge of downright exploding. VLJ's are as easy to fly as a Seminole, and there will be many operators hiring low-timers to fly right seat. That will be competition to the regionals, who will be forced to improve conditions in order to complete flights.

That will be competition to the regionals, who will be forced to improve conditions in order to complete flights.
I sincerely hope you are correct. It would be a welcome relief.

It's simply a case of supply and demand. For some time now there've been way too many starstruck kids reading Flying mag and jetting down to FLA for their overpriced flight school with a "guaranteed interview". There have been waiting lists at FBO's all over the country for CFI gigs. When bottom feeders like Great Lakes can institute a 1000hr min to fly a King Air on steroids, then you know something is wrong.

Now? Comair is junior manning, Pinnacle is way shorthanded, Mesa, Colgan, Commutair, you name it.

Nobody forces us to take crappy jobs at substandard pay. We do it to ourselves, because we are one of the lucky ones who get to do something we are truly passionate about.

There are cycles to everything, and I think we are trending upwards. Hang in there, and keep the right side up.

I agree.

Guess what Merlin, you have the choice! Don't take the friggin' job. This is America this is (sort of) a free country, nobody is forcing anyone to take a substandard job.

Do you think these days that people are uneducated about Mesa, Gulfstream, Colgan, etc? Of course not, yet they go there in droves (though I hear Mesa is having some issues with being short-staffed).

My point being that we as a work group control this, not management, and certainly not the clowns at ALPA.

I agree, and think like you. Mesa is having problems, and will continue to do so. Thanks for the support, and screw ALPO. We need to stand up and fight. I love my job, and would never give it up. It is just sad that I have more than 20 days off a month, and make more than 90K a year. While these guys stay at Mesa, and take the abuse, Like I use too.

I personally don't need to compare to the past. I just know there is a lot of problems with the airlines.

That is why I am out soon.

I agree, and think like you. Mesa is having problems, and will continue to do so. Thanks for the support, and screw ALPO. We need to stand up and fight. I love my job, and would never give it up. It is just sad that I have more than 20 days off a month, and make more than 90K a year. While these guys stay at Mesa, and take the abuse, Like I use too.

Hang in there, my man. Nothing beats the view at FL320, especially when someone is paying you to see it.

Latest resources

Back