The choice of my life

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jgore

Hi, I'm a new member. It took me some time to get some encouragement to post this thread, my 2nd one.
For those that don't know me (i guess the majority): My name is Javier Gore, I'm 19yrs old, and I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

First of all let me thank you all for your time.
Right now I’m going through a very difficult and critical moment of my life: I’m about to finish highschool and as you may think, I want to start the flying lessons for my ratings as soon as possible.
But here comes the trouble:
I'm a middle-class boy, with divorced parents, and I don't have money to take the lessons. In addition, my parents are pushing me to attend to "SOME" University which obviously I don't want, 'cause we only have universities of math, medicine, law, etc and none related to aviation, except of one located 600 miles from here. Most of the best universities down here are free. My parents push me to attend to SOME of them in order I Don't "waste my time".
How come am i gonna attend to a subjet i don't and won't like anyways ?
Of course, we do have flying schools, but they are way expensive (like $ 100 an hour on a pa-28).
May be you don't figure out what the situation here is. I'll try to give you some clues.
Middle-class family income: $ 1200 - 1500
Minimum wage on a paid job without university degree (for a teen):
$ 100 - 250
Minimum wage on a paid job with university degree: $ 400 - 600
The point is that we are suffering unemployment near % 40, and it's nearly impossible to get a job.
As for me:
I have an aunt and uncle living in Clovis, California. I'm sure they are not willing to spend money on me to get my ratings up there. And if they would, I can't get a paid job in the states if I haven't the green card. Also, I could not get any reasonable job as an immigrant in the states to pay for my ratings.
My sister is living in Venezuela, where the flying cost of an hour on a pa-28 is the same as in the states.

My question is:
Since I’m getting desperate about start building my career, my dream, and I don't have any source of incoming money, what can I do in the meantime? I'm afraid to waste time. As I heard in many places, the sooner I get my ratings, the better.
Some thing is very true: being born in sub-developed country could cost you many tears.
If I said something I was wrong above, please correct me, and if you can contribute with some information or something to help me with this issue, i would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance
Javier Gore (jgore).

Signed: Someone that wants to make his goal to the cockpit.

No, military training here is a waste of time. The goverment has no money to support it, thus the quality of education is poor.
Airlines down here rather civil-trained people rather than militay-trained ones.

jgore :)

Last edited:
Hey Javier

Hey Javier it’s good to make your acquaintance. I am glad that you have taken such an interest in flying. Hopefully your dream will come true. It seems that becoming a career pilot can be hard for almost everyone in some way.

The above post asks a good question. Would military be an option there? Honestly if it would that would be the best road to take.
You do speak English. There is always the possibility of joining the United States Military. However you may need a degree to fly.

I am not sure how your degrees down there would carry over to the U.S. However if something can be worked out, you might try getting a degree in Math from your local University.

Look at the military as a vestige to develop your dream. It can pay off in the end.

Feel free to ask any questions, any time. Best of luck to you!
J.

I apologize

I apologize for the post. I must have posted it after you had responded.

Is there anyway you could possibly talk with the University 600 miles away that does offer some form of flight training and get some ideas that way?

Is there anyway you can possibly track down and talk to some pilots down there to find out what road they took?

J.

JBHewlett

First of all, thanks for you time.
Look, i guess militaty training in the US is a viable option.
As for talking to the pilots down here, actually they built their carreers either on civil and military training in the beginning and late 80's, when the situation here was quite better, and the goverment had money to support military training.
In the other hand, i will stand and wont break apart.

Welcome to this board- This appears to be a very interesting situation that you are in and I can only wish you the best of luck in making your dream become a reality........ I would highly consider the military, what other "viable" and "good" choice do you have left- I find it very hard to believe that your govt doesn't support its military (at all)and remember you will receive ALL training at their cost and get paid for it, seems like more of a wise choice to me than to "attempt" to find another way that may be impossible-

Your military flight training may not be like the US of A however I am sure they are just as proud of there military as we are AND sure they have a decent flight program that may be beneficial to you-

C H E E R S & G O O D L U C K

3 5 0

350DRIVER

Many many thanks for you optimism, but i'm pretty sure that the military here is almost with no activity.
If i only could tell you that i meet a C-5 Gallaxy captain and he told me that his wage was $ 800.......how come you wont belive this goverment isn't suppporting the military education ?.
Anyways, thanks.

jgore,

What subjects have you enjoyed in school? Are you sure you can't find something to study at one of those free Universities that you would like? I am not sure about the airlines in South America, but the ones here almost require college (University) education, but in ANY field. Maybe you could go to one of these to study a "fall-back" subject, meanwhile flying during the off periods or after you graduate?

Just a thought. Don't dismiss a traditional education. You may not realize it now, but flying isn't all there is to life. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back