The Best Moments

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Best moment in aviation...

...a few months ago was bumped off 6 check airman trips in a row.

Ahhh....what a deal. Boys, days like those don't come around too often, but when they do it's so SWEET!!!

My unforgettable aviation moments, in no particular order:

- seeing and talking to a B-24 in the air
- seeing something like this
- seeing San Francisco from the air (incidentally, the air is the only place you'd wanna see that place from)
- flying to Mojave to see the first X-Prize launch, which combined my witnessing of a historical event with my first real "step out of the cradle," as it was a good 220-nm flight and my first cross country since my checkride.
- in Fox Field (near Mojave), exploring a CDF base and checking out the inside of Tanker 22, and exlporing an abandoned air museum including checking out the inside of a KC-97
- sharing the above with a now good friend of mine (in a separate plane) who was in the exact same position. I think that during that trip we grew up a little bit together as pilots
- cruising the Santa Cruz shoreline
- passing my checkride
- riding in (including a couple of minutes of stick time) a Waco ASO biplane over the Pacific coast
- riding in a Globe Swift in a practice formation flight with a Steen Skybolt
- spending time on the ground in Frazer Lake airport. It's a whole different world overthere, where time ticks slower, in multiple ways.
- my first time seeing a formation of P-51s start up and proceed to do multiple formation flybys

Last edited:
Somewhat aviation related....stands out more in my mind than any time I was the one doing the flying........spending a weekend skydiving with the Golden Knights. :D

Happened three weeks ago...

I got my eight year old daughter a ride in a 46' J-3. The grin on her face as they taxied up and shut down was the single biggest thrill of my flying life. The first thing she said to me after the engine shut down?

"Daddy, can we get a Cub, puleeeeeeeze???"

I wish I knew how to post a picture here. Priceless.

Every time I taxi up to a terminal where kids are looking out at us, and remembering being the kid dreaming of being an airline pilot...

Every time I see a sunrise or sunset.

atrdriver said:
Every time I taxi up to a terminal where kids are looking out at us, and remembering being the kid dreaming of being an airline pilot...

Every time I see a sunrise or sunset.

I'm looking forward to that moment too.

The first time I flew at sunset and the first time I flew at night!! :)

Too many, but here are a few.

Before I started flying I went to the airport and some guy invited my to ride along with him in a Stearman, the best part was that it was a formation of 4 Stearmans (that was unexpected) at sunset, it was like a movie. Then out of the blue, a T-28 was buzzing righ in front of us!!

Same airport in Louisisana, another dude invited me to ride along in his float plane, great experience!

My first solo X-C

The first time I broke out of the clouds at mins in in an ILS at night, with my instructor.

My first time in IMC single pilot, about 2 hrs in the soup, followed by an ILS circle to land at minimums, what a rush!!! (learned more in this flight alone than a lot of flights put together).

Holdig at 4000 ft, right at sunset, the WX at the field was bad, and we were riding the tops, the layer was right at my window and the sunset was just out of this world!!

Was flying at night with a student, severe clear. We were heading East above the Florida beach (no horizon, only stars) and then I see in front of me this extremely bight orange light. I didn't know what it was at firs so I kinda froze. It was the moon. The best moonrise I've ever seen.

Having the sun setting on one side of the plane and the moon rising on the other.

Getting 22 ratings fro my students. Teaching people to fly is one of the best things I have ever done, the satisfaction is great. It's good to know that some of them are already airline pilots, and a couple more are corporate pilots in Europe.

I used to get more exited when a student told me how much I helped him than when a pax compliments me on the landing.

My first flight as a First Oficer.

And many more.....

I'd like to thank the person who started this thread, it reminfds me why I got into aviation, it's moments like those that make an impression on your life and make you want to keep being a pilot.

Flechas

...doing my first Young Eagle day...

...having one of the Young Eagles I flew that day track me down 5 years later to tell me he just got his private....

...watching my first student pass his checkride. He was 76. I was 24.

...flying 50 feet off the water in a 1943 Stearman 450...then pulling straight up

...doing a 20 turn spin with Bill Kershner....

...giving a sightseeing/intro flight to a nice old guy...who I found out had 50 missions in a B-17. He hadn't flown anything in 40 years...and greased the landing too!

..seeing a meteor shower at FL410...

These are the kind of things that we hoped we'd do/see when we started in aviation right? Despite all the negatives we are bombarded with from people sometimes...some of the most awesome places are accessible only by traveling a winding, bumpy road...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back