• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"8. A pilot awarded a position (via an AE, MD or VD) to a category as a result
of insufficient bidders will, for the purposes of processing future
displacements in accordance with Section 22 F. of the JCBA, be considered
as junior to all pilots from the pre-merger pilot group that was entitled to
that category
."

Can someone explain this to me? It sounds like a permanent fence. Let me see if I understand....if I bid south to atlanta lets say....I will always be junior to EVERY Delta pilot if displacements were to occur in my aircraft? Under normal circumstances regular seniority applies for bidding etc...but if displacements occur I'm the first kicked off of the airplane because I'm former NWA?

Am I reading this correctly?

fly2002

No. I think this only applies to the fenced equipment (777/747/787) for the duration of the fence (5 yrs). I could be wrong.

"8. A pilot awarded a position (via an AE, MD or VD) to a category as a result
of insufficient bidders will, for the purposes of processing future
displacements in accordance with Section 22 F. of the JCBA, be considered
as junior to all pilots from the pre-merger pilot group that was entitled to
that category
."

Can someone explain this to me? It sounds like a permanent fence. Let me see if I understand....if I bid south to atlanta lets say....I will always be junior to EVERY Delta pilot if displacements were to occur in my aircraft? Under normal circumstances regular seniority applies for bidding etc...but if displacements occur I'm the first kicked off of the airplane because I'm former NWA?

Am I reading this correctly?

fly2002
No. I don't think you are understanding it correctly.
First, it only applies to the fenced airplanes (so 777 in your case as a former NW), and Second, it only applies if you got the position during the 5 year fence term due to insufficient bidders.

For example, if 3 years from now there are insufficient bidders(former DAL) on an AE for 777(highly unlikely wouldn't you think?) then you, as former NW, have a crack at it. So there you are, 3 years from now, as the only former NWA guy on the 777. Then, for some reason, DAL reduces the positions on the 777 and there are displacements. You are subject to being the first displaced, regardless of your seniority, because you got the position by crossing the fence due to insufficient bidders. Once the fence is over (5 years from SOC) displacements would be done in pure reverse seniority fashion.

Of course, anything is possible, but I think this language will be a paperwork exercise only. I can't imagine any of those "Super-Premium" positions going "insufficient bidders" during the next 5 years.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back