the augusta visual

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilothouston123

Anybody done the Maters shuttle? I was talking to one of our gulfstream pilots and he said that approach let him fly over auguta National and they called it the augusta visual appraoch

Any tips for me going into daniel field from ATL a few time next week in my be20

Thanks

Disgusta is more like it. From the north, you fly over the sewer treatment plant. From the south, it's a paper mill. Stinky stinky no matter which way you come in.

Disgusta! HA ha that's my home town. I thought I had coined that word. You will see the Augusta National easily by coming in from the N.N.E. Problem is....Daniel Field is surrounded by golf courses. I know of about 4 and 3 of them are on the N.E. side of the field and a real crappy one on the S.W. side. Augusta National is the largest one that practically glows green. It's a little further out then the other two nearby ones. They (DNL) only have that TRSA extending from Bush Field so you might want to look out for idiots barreling in there without participating.

Last edited:
McJohn,

Disgusta is only used for the airport (Bush field). I like the Partridge Inn downtown, classic hotel.

Oh really? Yeah I guess Bush Field is surrounded by all that crap. Daniel Field is what everyone uses for the Masters. It's only a few miles from the course. As a kid my dad and I would go hangout at DNL and watch all the charters and private jets battling to get in and out of that place. You can easily shake hands with ALL the famous golfers if you're there. I was able to go sit in Jack Nicholas's jet (with him) when I was around 12 years old.

mcjohn said:
Oh really? Yeah I guess Bush Field is surrounded by all that crap. Daniel Field is what everyone uses for the Masters. It's only a few miles from the course. As a kid my dad and I would go hangout at DNL and watch all the charters and private jets battling to get in and out of that place. You can easily shake hands with ALL the famous golfers if you're there. I was able to go sit in Jack Nicholas's jet (with him) when I was around 12 years old.

It's Nicklaus! :uzi:

And he does have a nice G4, was a frequent visiter to my former stomping grounds of PBI.

mcjohn said:

While DNL is heavily used for the Masters, I'd say it's a stretch to suggest "everyone uses it." Pretty tough airport for most jets (though Piedmont did try it in a 737 once....oops...they thought it was AGS!)

By the way, JN is selling the G4 for a 2000EASy. :D

There is NO SUCH THING as the "Augusta Visual Approach." AGS facilities are asked, and usually respect the query, not to let aircraft overfly the course during the tournament. Now, with DNL so close, sometimes it's inevitable. AS for spotting the course, its the BIGGEST one in that area, has the greenest greens and bright white sand bunkers. During Master's, it's even more identifiable by the thousands of cars parked on the NE corner of the grounds.

atlcrashpad said:
Disgusta is more like it. From the north, you fly over the sewer treatment plant. From the south, it's a paper mill. Stinky stinky no matter which way you come in.

We call them the "odor markers!" :laugh:

Ils 35 @ Ags

Back in the 70s, the approach chart for the ILS used to have a note about 'a gummy substance may appear on your windshield during the approach'. The localizer course for that approach took you right over a paper mill. You really did not need the middle marker at all. Your nose told you when you were at the approriate point.

DaveJ said:
Back in the 70s, the approach chart for the ILS used to have a note about 'a gummy substance may appear on your windshield during the approach'. The localizer course for that approach took you right over a paper mill. You really did not need the middle marker at all. Your nose told you when you were at the approriate point.
Yep, its gross. Mill is still going strong.

DaveJ said:

Thankfully there is new(er) equipment that remove much of the toxins that used to be found coming out of stacks. There is a story of a Falcon 20 landing in Augusta years ago. Crew borrowed a hose from the FBO to wash the gunk of the plane. That gunk also removed much of the paint on the aircraft.

Now, if they can just come up with something to remove the stench!

Latest resources

Back