• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The AJC's slanted take on corporate aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agreed-saying a plane is a luxury item for a corporate flight department is like saying a car is a luxury item for the middle class. it IS in most cases a time machine.

G200, I try to understand your take on this when it comes up....but I just don't understand how you don't see the value of your own service. My company is a perfect example of what a flight department can do for corporate transport. Almost none of the city pairs that we routinely operate between have service that wouldn't require changing planes in an airline hub somewhere. So we can do in an hour what would take at least 3 or 4 on the airlines (on the best day). So figure two hours of round-trip flying time versus 6 or 8 hours on the 'competition'. That's an entire workday....poof, just gone. Our people pass around all kinds of company paperwork, make phone calls, and carry on conversations with each other about things that you could get in trouble for knowing as a shareholder trading stock. Matter of fact, our flight crew are all on the insider list and can't trade our own stock (at all between certain dates, and not without permission from 'downtown' otherwise). So count that travel day as a loss in productivity, as well, unless our people can develop some sort of secret language or a series of hand signals.

These are people who's time is apparently pretty valuable. Is it really the best use of these peoples' most precious resource making them go through the airline system?

Back to the topic: Cynthia Tucker is a shrew and her paper just a freaking pamphlet. They have lost so much circulation in the last few years I don't know how they've kept the lights on.

Last edited:
Guys...I'm very well aware of the 3rd grade level NBAA propaganda on bizjet usage.

Again, Im not against it and understand that some trips are certainly made possible this way, I have done 10 countries in 14 days etc....and of course, a private operation (or individual) can do whatever they want with their money. I make a good living this way, as do most of you.

My point is that no public company wants their "time machine" (lol) usage analyzed. Not in the least. The abuses are not as far and few between as many state. The layoffs and pay freezes happen quick to the average guy but the absurd perks dont disappear. Joe unknown CEO needs the jet to go to Aspen 4X a year for "security" reasons. Sorry that does not fly with 99.99% of the public.

How many pilots lost their jobs due to that "time machine" display by the automakers in DC?

I'm not against business aviation, I just hate to see the over the top greed when my returns are in the toilet.

Easter Dinner time....then off to fly the time machine.... ENJOY.

How many pilots lost their jobs due to that "time machine" display by the automakers in DC?
Those CEO's of the Big Three that went before Congress cost people their jobs because they were cowards. All they had to do was explain that they were on a tight schedule and several other cities to visit that day. Instead, they acted like kids that got caught with the keys to dad's car. Those morons in Congress do the same thing, only the taxpayers foot the bill.

Bottom line is that if you want luxury and time is not a concern, buy a Prevost not a private jet.

Only pilots that worked for stupid people.
Those CEO's of the Big Three that went before Congress cost people their jobs because they were cowards. All they had to do was explain that they were on a tight schedule and several other cities to visit that day. Instead, they acted like kids that got caught with the keys to dad's car.
Exactly.

Those CEO's of the Big Three that went before Congress cost people their jobs because they were cowards. All they had to do was explain that they were on a tight schedule and several other cities to visit that day. Instead, they acted like kids that got caught with the keys to dad's car. Those morons in Congress do the same thing, only the taxpayers foot the bill.

Bottom line is that if you want luxury and time is not a concern, buy a Prevost not a private jet.

I thought it strange they couldn't handle the spotlight and or pressure that well. For guys in those positions they just folded.

Maybe Mizzzzzz Tucker should do some research about why the owners of her company fly private jets. It seems they were removed from a commercial flight while in Europe and were advised they could not be guaranteed of their safety while on a commercial flight. Thus a flight department.

All I can think about is my CEO standing at the gate of some airport trying to get to somewhere to meet with potential multi-million dollar investors and being told "sorry sir the flight is cancelled because of crew rest issues. We"ll put you on the waiting list for tomorrow along with the other 200 passengers. But because you checked in only an hour and a half before the flight, you're last in line behind those vacationing blue heads! No, I don't care if your million dollar budget meeting ran a little late."
Screw the media, they don't have a clue how to run a company!

Latest resources

Back