Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Pilot Hat: What will become of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Im just pointing out that REZ's example holds no water. Clearly this is one of the greatest professional pilots in history next to Al Haynes and he doesnt wear his hat all the time in public.

The hat has no bearing on professionalism.

Last edited:
The hat has no bearing on professionalism.

This is obviously true. One can be just as professional with or without tha hat. Unfortunatley we are not flying around, for the most part, other pilots. we are flying the general public around and I believe their view is they want to see the most professional LOOKING crew they can get. These folks don't get a chance to interview you before they place their lives in your hands, their comfort level with you as a crewmamber is by first impressions, usually a quick look when you walk through the gate area to the jetway. So in my opinion we should look the part for a general public that is not familiar with all of the politics going on in our respective airlines/unions.

Mm.... does this hat make my butt look big... Gee I don't know... Just wear the ********************er if you're supposed to! Damnit! WTF is wrong with you, 4 ********************ing pages or ********************!

Now that I'm 'out of the game' I go out of my way to ask stupid questions to the hat-less flight crew that the gate or F/A's would normally get.

If you had a hat, I'd wish you a pleasant day. Most don't understand the stripes. Everyone understands the hats (except for the eggs). Wear you hat. If not, I consider you the same level as a gate agent.

The flying public doesnt give a crap what you look like. Really. Unless you look 13 years old. Then they might get scared thanks to the colgan guys, who were probably wearing hats.

The hat is overkill in this day and age. Flying an airplane is not so difficult that you need to dress up like the Supreme Allied Commander of NATO when you go to work. Further, the job doesn't really command the respect it used to, nor does it command the salaries. And NO, before you say it Rez, it's not because we dont wear hats.

Now that I'm 'out of the game' I go out of my way to ask stupid questions to the hat-less flight crew that the gate or F/A's would normally get.

If you had a hat, I'd wish you a pleasant day. Most don't understand the stripes. Everyone understands the hats (except for the eggs). Wear you hat. If not, I consider you the same level as a gate agent.

Wow, you really need to get a life. To waste time and energy on something so small and insignificant that longer impacts you says so much about who you are.

AA:cool:

The flying public doesnt give a crap what you look like. Really. Unless you look 13 years old. Then they might get scared thanks to the colgan guys, who were probably wearing hats.

The hat is overkill in this day and age. Flying an airplane is not so difficult that you need to dress up like the Supreme Allied Commander of NATO when you go to work. Further, the job doesn't really command the respect it used to, nor does it command the salaries. And NO, before you say it Rez, it's not because we dont wear hats.

So your solution is to just throw in the towel. Does the job not command the respect or did we give it away. Does the job not command the salaries or did we give it away. Give me your solution where looking professional is a detrament.

Latest resources

Back