Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Pilot Hat: What will become of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My company- well above my head- with the consent of my union and flt ops leaders have deemed the hat optional.
A professional pilot flies the a/c the way their company wants it flown. And wears the uniform the way the company wants it worn.
They pay my paycheck, not any of you- and I am in complete compliance every day on the job-
I will support your efforts to remind us all to show up to work with pride in our appearance. I simply disagree that the hat is part of the equation.
UALRATT- you're right- many analogies I used were less than perfect. No gel in my hair though man
Rez- see previous posts- we will have to agree to disagree.
Hat wearers at my airline tend to signify a lack of self esteem and an over reaching ego- not all, mind you- but many- and from many people's experience it's a signal that the pairing may not be too fun- (and no- not fun does not=more professional/ usually less professional actually- though the hat wearer will be convinced they are doing the job better than everyone)
I've never been able to make this stereotype at any other airline- the hat was the hat- sometimes you wore it- sometimes you didn't and no one cared-
which is where I'll bow out- I just don't care about the hat.
There's too many other things I care about to waste another keystroke on it- like:
calm clear demeanors
competence and well studied- ready to answer questions without struggling
fit and healthy- (though ready to drink!) just do some situps- no excuse for bellyfat- it's dangerous and looks like hell
shoes shined and new
clothes fresh and ironed
hair clean cut and well groomed- which means trim out your nose hairs- and gummers: trim your ear hair - everyone keep your neckline shaved- eyebrows- I support dems but don't want to see a Dukakis brow - just get the barber to trim them- no wax necessary
show care to your passengers- be available to answer questions- ie- use your cell phone in private out of the public eye- same with iPods-
take care of your people - go out of the way to buy coffee and chocolate- even for an occassional pax- tell them you appreciate them traveling- buy coffee for the cops
look people in the eye- don't be shifty eyed shady- or too egotistical to converse-
get sleep as well as you can- have fun

or better yet - only do that if you work at WN- the rest of you- wear your hats - but keep doing the opposite like you have been

All of this writing and still no response to why hats are valid at the picket line but not everyday?

I agree with much of what you posted though on attitude....

I liked the hat, the general public likes us in hats, but they sure can be a bother, especially to those commuting to work.

In the Marines, we all wore our hats, because it was required, and because it was not optional. We also had a lot of pride in our uniforms and appearance, and the uniform is an expression of our professionalism and attitude. We don't care what the public thinks, as long as they and our enemies respect us.

Fashion and comfort had absolutely nothing to do with it. You were a Marine, so you wore your cover, obeyed orders, and accomplished your mission. No doubts in anyone's eyes, friend or foe.

Applying this to pilots, airlines, and alpa is tough. They all have had a hand in degrading our profession and standards. The hat problem is merely a symptom of the bigger problem. The UAL "hat switch"? Juvenile and immature....

If our profession/industry was squared away, there would be no hat issue. Unions and management would take a stand, either way....

---Outsource!!, the rallying cry of managers and greedy senior Captains.....

Man, anybody that good looking in a uniform and takes that good a care of himself has got to be gay. Or at least Metro-Sexual.

I'm just saying.

Nice. This from a Mesa serf....
I've never seen an airline or it's pilots so fully live up to their rep. Go iron your clothes and leave my hetero street credentials out of it-
but if you're curious- gay or straight - you get laid more when you do situps every day and don't look like a ********************ing slob- I'm just saying you gotta try a little....

If you wear a hat and suck as a pilot and corporate representative............. are you still professional?

Lose the hat.

Gup

Take it easy on the ALPA reps.:D

Even if ALPA reps loose the hat it won't make a difference... Wait.. if the ALPA pilots don't have to buy a hat then ALPA could collect more dues. :D

Netjets pilots are among the most professional pilots I have come across.... and they don't even have hats. I get paid to not crash, be on time, and make the passengers happy... If the book says wear a hat, I wear a hat. If the book says wear a hawaiian shirt, then I'd do that also. If I got a vote as to what the book said, then I'd vote no hat.... it messes up your hair!

Rez- I don't pretend to understand why alps does anything. Pilots wear the hat when they are asked to at a demonstration. I would imagine they want everyone in their hats bc in a large crowd all you will see are people's heads- so it's good to have a hat on that signifies that the crowd is made up of pilots- you just can't see the stripes on the sleeves. I don't believe this logic applies to professionalism or daily line flying.

Latest resources

Back