The age old headset debate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ralgha said:
Are you switching it around every flight? Who cares if you need a screwdriver, most people are only going to change it once, if at all.

They have this handy little LED that indicates the battery level. I've never had them fail unexpectedly. I also carry two spare pairs of rechargable batteries in my flight bag. As far as not having a spare set, well, that's nobody's fault but your own.

Yes I do switch it around. I go from the left seat to the right seat and back on a fairly regular basis.

No need to be a smart arse, I am aware of the little LED. If you read about it, it says something to the effect of blinks red real fast equals less than 10 hours battery life. Well that sure does narrow it down. You carry two sets of extras huh? I sure don't have to plan ahead like that with my DCs.

Hey Timeoff, thanks for the update. I guess I did not get that manual. The thing they sent me was only like 6 pages long and did not have anything in there about it. Hey, do you know anything about the LED light? Somebody told me you can actually turn it off. I have not figured how to do that and that light can be annoying on a long night flight with the instrument lights turned down.

Hey W2B, sorry that we got off topic. I know you said that the Bose X was not in your budget. Stick with the DCs and if you want ANR, look into upgrading your existing pair. $29 headset pad and $20 foam/gel seals and I would think you would be pretty happy. I am.

Who cares what side you're sitting on? The little LED goes orange at ~8 hours and red at ~2 hours. You can't turn it off, but you can dim it by pushing the power button twice after turning it on.

My prior planning consists of tossing some batteries into a bag. I know, it takes a lot of effort and may be too strenuous for some, but I can handle it. It's nice to have spare batteries for the flashlight too. You do have a flashlight don't you?

Last edited:
Actually smart guy, I do carry a flashlight. The one that came with the Bose headset, which does not use AA batteries. Then I have my D cell battery flashlight as to comply with 135 regulations. Anyway, as you have missed the point twice now I will spell it out for you. The Bose X is no better than my 15 year old DCs. It is different and thus has different pros and cons, but all in all, no difference. With of course the exception of being $650 more. Now I realize the opinions will differ about the Bose X, but there is no denying that Bose missed the boat by not adding passive noise reduction.

My batteries died today on me in my lightspeed. I want to reiterate (sp) they suck without the active noise reduction. Bose is even worse. They both lack passive noise reduction.

If you want a better all around headset, I have tried Senheiser and the Denalis. Both have decent passive and active. This means you are not totally screwed when your batteries die.

Having tried all these and more I still like my lightspeed over all else I have tried.

I would recommend against buying passive DC's and planning on upgrading. DC wanted 500$ to upgrade my H10-13.4 to ANR when I could have a brand new H10-13X for $550.

I love the DC's but in retrospect I should have bought the ANR ones from the beginning.

timeoff said:
They are reversible. You just need a small screwdriver.

I love the Bose. It's the best investment I have ever made. My DC's always gave me a headache after about an hour or so. With the Bose, I don't even know they are there.

I know you said you can't afford them, but you can pick up a pair through their website with no interest financing for 12 months. Don't even need a credit card....a debit card will do.

SO tell me, what exactly is the difference between using a credit card and a debit card for this? IF you use a debit card, you STILL have to have the entire amount of the purchase in your account in order for the transaction to process. Just like having a credit limit on your credit card that is high enough to pay for the whole purchase price at once.

Well, it seems that the difference in using a debit card and a credit card would be that you will pay less money if you use your debit card. Unless your credit card is currently at 0%, you will be paying interest from your credit card company.

agpilot34 said:
SO tell me, what exactly is the difference between using a credit card and a debit card for this? IF you use a debit card, you STILL have to have the entire amount of the purchase in your account in order for the transaction to process. Just like having a credit limit on your credit card that is high enough to pay for the whole purchase price at once.

Completely untrue.

Bose only charges the $82.92 monthly payments one at a time. Call them, they will tell you the same thing.

It is FREE FINANCING just like it is advertised.

TrafficInSight said:
I would recommend against buying passive DC's and planning on upgrading. DC wanted 500$ to upgrade my H10-13.4 to ANR when I could have a brand new H10-13X for $550.

I love the DC's but in retrospect I should have bought the ANR ones from the beginning.

I didn't mean to imply that I upgraded my set to ANRs, just in case that is what you thought. I have only upgraded them in respect to the thicker foam/gel seals and the pad by Oregon Aero. Sorry for any confusion.

Latest resources

Back