Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

That is not how I want my ALPA dues to be used.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JonnyKnoxville

Supply and Demand. Thanks ALPA for increasing the supply and continuing to diminish any chance of making a living flying airplanes. Why not just use my dues to pay for their training?

ALPA Education Committee Debuts Website for Future Pilots
The ALPA Education Committee has begun to make great changes to rejuvenate the committee with the debut of its new website – www.ClearedToDream.org. The website was designed to provide future pilots with as much information as possible about their career paths.

The site presents future pilots with an understanding of a pilot’s everyday life, the history of the airline industry, and the role ALPA has played in improving air transport safety and working conditions for all pilots, as well as detailing the experience that is required to become an airline pilot.

All ALPA members will have an opportunity to contribute to the new website such information as a newsworthy article or an experience shared from a pilot that can benefit our future pilots. This input is invaluable and will continue to make the website a great venue to learn about our profession.

The next step is for airline pilots to visit universities, colleges, and high schools to educate the students about our profession. This is where the Committee is reaching out to you for assistance. If you are proud of your profession and comfortable speaking in front of a group about a career in aviation, this is your chance to make a difference with the youth of today.

Please contact the Education Committee staff coordinator Crystal Fishback at 703-481-4433, or by e-mail at [email protected] if you are interested in being part of the committee.

We look forward to the efforts of the ALPA Education Committee becoming a long-term success and to the dedicated members for making it happen.

Last edited:
I think it is good that ALPA can educate the future pilots on how difficult this industry is and how Union representation can help them achieve a liveable wage. Now if only they can do that now ;)

I sure as hell hope they present a healthy dose of reality, as opposed to a sugar-coated Sky-God lifestyle.

Nice!! They need to be going to all flight schools and tell them what they are getting into and how to prepare for it. Great idea imho.

Did you and your freinds tell each other in flight training... "I hope ALPA is really effective when I fly for the airlines".

Probably not. But we all thought about how great it will be to be flying jets for a living...

Do pilots spend more time talking about how to fly an ILS or about how market forces effect thier careers...

ALPA is realizing that many become pilots with misaligned expectations... and that is a shared responsibility between ALPA and the pilot.

So ALPA is trying to do something about it.... what about the professional air line pilot.... what is s/he doing about it?

I would be really surprised if ALPA gave these kids a reality check. I could see it now...So kids, that is about it, I have a better office view than any of your parents, each destination I overnight at is a vacation paid for by the airline, I work three days a month, and I make more money than God doing it.

I would be really surprised if ALPA gave these kids a reality check. I could see it now...So kids, that is about it, I have a better office view than any of your parents, each destination I overnight at is a vacation paid for by the airline, I work three days a month, and I make more money than God doing it.

You posted an email on your first post. Why not volunteer to tell these kids...

After all, some cranky 65 year old fart talking to high school and college kids wouldn't be as effective..as say a cool Holister dude like you....

You don't expect someone else to make this profession better for you....do you?

It a very good idea! Had this program been impimented a while ago, maybe ALPA would have had better sucess at Colgan and SkyWest. Hopefully it can reverse the "Me" attitude that a lot of the SJS kids have coming to the regionals. I know I wouldn't want that attitude coming to a ALPA represented pilot group, when they're done at the regional level.

I think that it's a great idea. You can bet 30% of what you were making 5 years ago that The History of Organized Labor in the Airline Industry isn't part of the curriculum at Riddle or UND. It would actually be good remedial training for all of us.

Last edited:
I've been preaching this (and sent letters to Herndon back when I was an ALPA member) for almost a decade.

I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind who's already spend $75,000 at GIA or somewhere else and get them to get on the bandwagon with us trying to change anything. They just want a return on their investment as fast as they can.

However, going to college campuses with aviation departments and spreading a little "reality check" about the first 10-12 years of their life after college (building time to get on with a regional or buying their job from GIA) just to get a 14-16k paycheck for 2-3 years until they have the flight time to upgrade, then $50k a year for 3-5 more years until they have enough time to be competitive...

I'm betting a lot of them would rethink their career choices. Not to mention be a LOT more union-minded to improve their lot in life as they moved forward.

Something has to be done at the entry level, or there won't be anyone left to fight. It used to be a PRIVILEGE to serve on a union committee... now you have to beg and plead to get volunteers.

My personal opinion is that this is too little, too late, but I guess they can try.

Latest resources

Back