Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bjammin

Cease Buzzer
Just wanted to say thanks to the captain of American 2450 from LAX to DFW on Wed. Jun 3rd.

I showed up at the gate in uniform after a long trip from Hong Kong and on my way to my reserve gig in Texas. He came out, greeted me, and offered me the jumpseat. I told him I was not CASS, but thanked him very much. He was clearly dissapointed and truly hoped I would be able to get on. I did, and he then offered to put my bag in the cockpit as they were checking bags at the gate due to no overhead bin space.

His PA's were extreamly professional and he truly had a great demeanor.

He shook my hand on the way out and told me about hotels that offered airline rates as he knew I was spending the night.

He didn't know me from Adam, but treated me like one of his own co-workers. Nice to see that kind of attitude out there.

Thanks captain.

Just wanted to say thanks to the captain of American 2450 from LAX to DFW on Wed. Jun 3rd.

I showed up at the gate in uniform after a long trip from Hong Kong and on my way to my reserve gig in Texas. He came out, greeted me, and offered me the jumpseat. I told him I was not CASS, but thanked him very much. He was clearly dissapointed and truly hoped I would be able to get on. I did, and he then offered to put my bag in the cockpit as they were checking bags at the gate due to no overhead bin space.

His PA's were extreamly professional and he truly had a great demeanor.

He shook my hand on the way out and told me about hotels that offered airline rates as he knew I was spending the night.

He didn't know me from Adam, but treated me like one of his own co-workers. Nice to see that kind of attitude out there.

Thanks captain.

Great Post. That Captain does sound professional, and I'm sure you were as well.

I wish all were like that, and it should go both ways.

Yesterday, a Comair guy popped his head in the cockpit door, interupted a checklist and loudly stated that "He had the jumpseat, but he'd sit in back". He then walked out, before I even had time to turn around and greet him.

I'm very old school, when it comes to the jumpseat, so I just had to bite my toung and move on.

Maybe I can hijack this thread for a moment.

Jumpseaters, please try to get back to the old idea of "Asking for a ride on the jumpseat". When it comes down to it, you are riding the jumpseat, but were given a seat in the back.

I know times have changed, and I'm trying to get used to it, but maybe we can try return to the professional days like the captain in this post.

When someone asks for the jumpseat, I always do all I can to be sure they have all the comforts possible, etc. When they just tell me they have the jumpseat, then I have very little to say.

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks for the post. Good to hear that kind of stuff.

Great Post. That Captain does sound professional, and I'm sure you were as well.

I wish all were like that, and it should go both ways.

Yesterday, a Comair guy popped his head in the cockpit door, interupted a checklist and loudly stated that "He had the jumpseat, but he'd sit in back". He then walked out, before I even had time to turn around and greet him.

I'm very old school, when it comes to the jumpseat, so I just had to bite my toung and move on.

Maybe I can hijack this thread for a moment.

Jumpseaters, please try to get back to the old idea of "Asking for a ride on the jumpseat". When it comes down to it, you are riding the jumpseat, but were given a seat in the back.

I know times have changed, and I'm trying to get used to it, but maybe we can try return to the professional days like the captain in this post.

When someone asks for the jumpseat, I always do all I can to be sure they have all the comforts possible, etc. When they just tell me they have the jumpseat, then I have very little to say.

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks for the post. Good to hear that kind of stuff.

You are the captain, no one should be telling you ANYTHING. I can live with not requiring a jacket and tie on the jumpseat (that's old school) but assuming you are just going to take a seat is dead wrong. The more times this guy goes unchallenged, the more he will think it is acceptable behavior.

I recently had the opportunity to non rev/jumpseat on American and I can echo the original post. Very professional and courteous crew, went out of their way to make me comfortable. They have a great product.

I did that at ORD for 2 United Guys a few weeks ago. Both seemed genuinely thankful. We took a crew delay because one was standing at the gate and the agent refused to board the 2nd jumpseater and then lied about it. I said Ok thats fine but we'll refuse to leave until he gets on. Guess who won?

I did that at ORD for 2 United Guys a few weeks ago. Both seemed genuinely thankful. We took a crew delay because one was standing at the gate and the agent refused to board the 2nd jumpseater and then lied about it. I said Ok thats fine but we'll refuse to leave until he gets on. Guess who won?

How can it be a crew delay if the gate agent was the one lacking? Some of these gate agents need to have their asses handed to them for their lack of professionalism!! My experience j/s on AA has been very good as well, and because of that I will go to the ends of the earth to accommodate their pilots on my flights.

How can it be a crew delay if the gate agent was the one lacking? Some of these gate agents need to have their asses handed to them for their lack of professionalism!! My experience j/s on AA has been very good as well, and because of that I will go to the ends of the earth to accommodate their pilots on my flights.

Doesnt really matter to me very much. They logged it as "cockpit checks". Whatever. Both guys got home faster and we ended up getting to the destination only 5 minutes late anyway. Pilots in Command need to be professional but in command. I've had plenty of funny looks from agents and rampers for some of the things ive done. (tankering fuel, delaying for pax on the last flight out etc.)

Well I will be the first to say I have had more not so good jumpseat rides on AA than good. The good thought are mostly Commutting ex-TWA guys. There is a lot of animosity towards eagle guys thought so that is what I chaulk it up to because I come down to the door introduce my self to the FA, wait for the pilots to finish checklists or what ever they are doing then ask for the jumpseat even thought I was already given it. I am not an a.. and I know the jumpseat is not a right.

I jumpseated on AA a while back and had to really press to be able to talk to the Captain.

The gate agent essentially approved it, and when I boarded, I told the FA I needed to talk to the CA, but was told to move it along, please.

Rather than fight about it, I went back to my assigned seat, and caught up with the FA in the middle and explained that I was uncomfortable jumpseating without talking to the CA.

A few seconds of explaining JS protocol got a quick trip to the front, where the CA was like: "Jumpseat? Sure, whatever, find a spot in back." He was very nice, but seemed like he wondered why I was up there talking to him. Didn't even want to see my certs.

Oh well, even though no one seemed to care, I'd do it the same way again. Gotta keep professional courtesies professional and courteous.

Is that pre-approval at the gate an AA thing, or was it just an anomaly?

Latest resources

Back