Terminated!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heyas,

I'd agree with the above. It would have to depend.

I knew a guy that got on at UAL during the "Lottery Ticket" years, but wound up quitting 6 months in because his wife had separation anxiety syndrome (or some such), and couldn't stand him being gone. I think he went on to hitch on somewhere else.

Dunno why UAL was such a problem for his wife, since he was probably gone less than he was at the commuter he left, but I'd have to say it probably was for the best.

Nu

Sounds like you have it all figured out?

So how do you explain the SWA chick captain leveling out at 385 kias to make her 10,000 foot crossing restriction, 45 knots past Vmo?

And how do you explain your test pilot colonel doing a single engine fly by. He flew all the way from a V1 cut in SAN to LAX and did a single engine fly by gear down, F15 to a missed and then returned to a landing so the tower could check the gear? Good judgement or bad?

What I have figured out. SWA colonels do off the wall crap and think they don't stink. Problem is they do. And someday their attitudes are going to take down a plane load of innocent bystanders who didn't sign up for a test flight.

Anyone can make mistakes, but it takes a colonel to do it big at SWA.

Last edited:
The fact someone worked for a Major for a few months and then had to leave, "voluntarily" or not, is still going to have to be explained. And it better be good, IMO.
If they failed out of training, it shouldn't matter that they resigned or got fired. They need to do everyone a favor and find another line of work.

Thanks Maverick. Can you share some of the "right stuff" with us?

So how do you explain the SWA chick captain leveling out at 385 kias to make her 10,000 foot crossing restriction, 45 knots past Vmo?!
"My Rasin Bran hit with a vengeance descending through FL190, so I excused myself and was dropping a whole busload of kids off at the pool in the forward lav during the whole event. I wasn't monitoring, heck, I wasn't even on the flight deck. I don't know how the CVR got erased, must have accidently hit it when testing it for the next crew, I'm courteous that way. Again, I wasn't there, but I recall one heck of a tailwind when I got up and it had swung to a heck of a headwind when I got back. Thank goodness evrything worked out and the airplane's inspection went well-Great talking to you, I've got a 10:15 departure and don't want to be late, but my ex-wife's best friend's number is in the crew track computer if you need me for anything else-See Ya (the sound of feet running down the hall)....

I know the crossing restriction mess when Washington Center forgets and leaves you up and some rediculous altitude. All you have to do is whine a little and get the "do the best you can" clearance. Problem solved.
What I have figured out is you SWA colonels do off the wall crap and think you don't stink. ...

Anyone can make mistakes. But it takes a colonel to do it big!
Haven't you heard? Speed is LIFE!

The rudder hard over problem is completely nullified by the flight controls being blanked by the shock wave over Mach 1.

Last edited:
Wow, glad you're not my boss. Whew!

Thanks Maverick. Can you share some of the "right stuff" with us?

:rolleyes: You both need to lighten up. Is this a sensitive subject or are you just part of the kinder, gentler culture?

It's not like we're talking about a lot of folks here. Most pilots from various backgrounds hired by major airlines succeed in training without any problems. That's the norm.

The few problem children that don't hack it get filtered out. What's wrong with that? Not everyone is meant to be or has a right to a seat in an airliner or freighter cockpit.

Latest resources

Back