• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Term Life Insurance

porra

Total Time
lots
For those of you that have to buy Life Insurance, what companies would you recommend?
Thanks

siouxicide

Gimme yo' change
Total Time
0-9000
MN Life through AOPA was the best deal I found. $22 for $500K.

js32driver

Total Time
Agreed. I switched to Minnesota Life last year and locked in a 20 year term $750,000 policy at $495 per year. Far outstripped my previous ins. company and any other competitor. Went thru AOPA.

ualdriver

Total Time
13Kish
For those of you that have to buy Life Insurance, what companies would you recommend?
Thanks

When you say "recommend" do you mean by quality or by price?

You can search by both at www.term4sale.com. That's one of the best term life insurance search engines out there. And you don't have to type in your name, address, phone number, etc., to get a quote. Just fill out the little questionaire and you get tons of quotes. Good luck.

Flying Biker

My own boss!!!
Total Time
+-1
Thanks

When looking, be cautious and make sure that there are no aviation waivers attached. I would say most have them so if you are ever in any type of aviation accident then that policy is not worth the paper it is written on.

When I was looking many years ago, I believe even the AOPA insurance had this waiver on as well. I would not have thought this since it was coming from them it would have it, but it did. For the life of me, I can not remember who we got ours from and since I am sitting in a hotel room, I don't have access to it, but I know it took a lot of research to find one who did not have the aviation waiver attached. I actually had to go through the process of filling out the paperwork with one company only to find out about this little show stopper. But we finally did find one and even then it took about 8 more pages of paperwork that we had to fill in and several phone calls from the underwriters asking me the same questions about training, flight hours, expected flight hours, so on and so forth.

This did raise the rates slightly but not significatly. I want to say it raised it around 10.00 more a month on the premiums.

sydeseet

Huge Member
Total Time
The aviation aspect can throw a wrinkle into the approval process but you can successfully navigate through it if you are prepared. I bought a 20 yr $1million+ policy last year through a local broker. When the pilot issue came up we spent the next two weeks working with various underwriters to make sure that my status as a professional corporate jet pilot flying 3-400 hours per year did not cause any type of coverage issue or increase in premium. If you are approved as a super-preferred risk without the aviation then you should fight to be considered a super preferred risk with it. They may want to lump you with every weekend warrior or crop-duster as an increased risk, however, my broker and I were able to convince them that my job is no more dangerous than someone in sales. I have it in writing that my claim will be covered should I cease and desist in any type of aircraft accident - whether it be as a CFI in a 172 or as a PIC in a G5.

It may take some wrangling but it's worth the fight. It will be yet another case of educating someone on exactly what a professional pilot does at work. Good luck.

porra

Total Time
lots
Thank you all for the info.
I guess I'll have to read the fine print not to have aviation waiver on it.

siouxicide

Gimme yo' change
Total Time
0-9000
I probably sound like a salesman for MN Life, but their application has you list type of flying, type of aircraft, hours per year, if you do flight instruction, etc. I believe it was PIC Life that was also geared towards pilots, but their rate for me was $30/month for $500k, 20-year. Still pretty decent I thought.

OurMoney1

Total Time
If your an ALPA member the programs offered as additional coverage are very competitive. Just call member services, they have many programs to choose from.

About the only thing ALPA is good for these days.

Undewriter is Guardian Life Insurance Company, you may be able to buy into the program without being an ALPA member. The last time I looked you just have to be an active P121 pilot. Check it out.

porra

Total Time
lots
OURMONEY1,
I used to be Alpa member, but now flying corporate therefore I can't buy the insurance from them.

SIOUXICIDE, I'm in contact with MN life. Thanks for the info.

LAFrequentflyer

Total Time
<1,500
AAFMAA

Good alternative to SGLI for the active duty folks. Carries over to civilian side as well...

MoralDK

Total Time
Lots
Miinesota Life charges me $88/quarter for a lousy 100,000. Only 5 year terms, too! Apparently I'm getting screwed.

Igor

Total Time
For active and former members of the armed forces you may want to try usaa for insurance (not just life) they seem to me to be very good and as far as i know have very good rep.

siouxicide

Gimme yo' change
Total Time
0-9000
Miinesota Life charges me $88/quarter for a lousy 100,000. Only 5 year terms, too! Apparently I'm getting screwed.

It is a tiered system based on your physical condition, risk factors such as smoking, and whatever they find in the physical and bloodwork. My rate was the preferred select rate.

AZ Typed

Hobby's Flyin
Total Time
If your an ALPA member the programs offered as additional coverage are very competitive. Just call member services, they have many programs to choose from.

About the only thing ALPA is good for these days.

Undewriter is Guardian Life Insurance Company, you may be able to buy into the program without being an ALPA member. The last time I looked you just have to be an active P121 pilot. Check it out.

ALPA's term life insurance is a rip off. I've quoted it in various situations, always more expensive than many other companies, even with aviation "issues."

Someone mentioned PIC Life: www.piclife.com. They know the pilot game better than anyone else when it comes to life insurance.

Get enough, it's cheap. We recently had a family member pass suddenly in his 50's...$500,000, with very little debt...and it wasn't enough. Get at least $1,000,000.

And don't buy it from one of those stupid MLM companies like Primerica for goodness sakes.

AZ T

Last edited: