• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tell your scariest/worst experience flying freight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the worst flying story is the one i don't remeber hypocritic a$$ holes somebooby take my computer before i sy something stupid..

flyingdude said:
Their was too many incidents to actually pick one out. Between the crap planes and equally bad weather it was interesting almost daily. Between the failed windsheild heat strip with a solid sheet of ice, boots that are always half infated, gyro issues, radios failing in IMC, cabin heaters that fail often in the winter time, brake failures, engine failure, fuel pooring out from one of the cowlings just after takeoff, all instrument lights that go out in IMC at night which requires you to hand fly an instrument app. working the yoke and throttle with one hand and holding the flashlight on the panel with the other, flying in heavy rain with water leaking onto the electrical panel below your left arm just to mention a few cases of many more. Anyone that has been a freightdog in bad airplanes knows what I am talking about, you have all been there. After 1,000 hrs. of that, I would never do it again even if I was starving to death.

Dude....the wambulence is on it's way:bawling:

The thing I really like about freight flying is that I don't have to listen to this! Single-pilot definately has it's advantages.

When the chips are down, I always think that someone somewhere is having or has had a worse day than I have. That said, possibly the worst time I've had flying freight was when I was loading the airplane, and took a fingernail off on a rivet...that's the most pain I've been in, in my life - try tuning radios, advancing throttles, setting props and mixture with no thumbnail. Not a joke...it really hurt, but I sucked it up and "got 'er done"

Early days as SIC; cruising along in a LR-24 @FL410, at night, flew into thunderstorm (single cell, no TRWs forecast, radar not turned on). Had dual engine flameout. Talk about Mr. Toads Wild Ride!!! Flew out of it. Got one re-lit, leveled off @ 16,000'. Rel-lit the other, flew home w/o further incident. Drank a few extra beers that night, bought new underwear, considered changing careers, ultimately couldn't give up free popcorn..

NoPax said:
That said, possibly the worst time I've had flying freight was when I was loading the airplane, and took a fingernail off on a rivet...that's the most pain I've been in, in my life - try tuning radios, advancing throttles, setting props and mixture with no thumbnail. Not a joke...it really hurt, but I sucked it up and "got 'er done"

Gloves, man -- gloves.

I got beat up by a Beech 99 airstair door once -- excruciating bruise and scrape from right knee to waist, plus three cracked ribs. I sucked it up and flew home, too -- but I couldn't pull the levers into reverse for a month.

So that was the worst. As for scary -- well, I think "mis-sort" says it all.

After 1,000 hrs. of that, I would never do it again even if I was starving to death.

Knock wood. I said the exact same thing in Oct of 2000...Nov of 2005 I was back at it albeit only as a fill in. Hunger has a way of coloring what you feel about cargo. I'm still looking for another job...this one pays the bills and puts beans on the table.

Eric

Dude, you can afford BEANS?! :beer:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back