• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Telex 850 or Uflymike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not wanting to hijack thread, Guppy, but what was the outcome? Can y'all use the UFly?

Lots of people swear by the UFlyMike. I guess Bose has a replacement for the QuietComfort2 that is even better.

Thanks for the input!!

Long story long......

The designer of the UflyMike was a Southwest pilot who had a GREAT idea and the means to make it happen. Once his adapter was demonstated it sold itself and I have heard upwards of 3,000 SWA pilots own/owned it.

Our flight ops decided to ban it because they said there was no audio backup if the battery died and that it was not TSO'd. Well the damn red light blinks for 2 days warning you. A smart man would put a new battery in ahead of time, or simply leave the O/H speaker on low. Our VP of Flight Ops told a group of us personally and I quote "God help you if we find you with an Ipod." Did I mention the UflyMike has an audio jack built in? I think you can see where this is going.

Mike spent a boatload of his own money to design and TSO a little earpiece that goes inside the earcup. Kinda mickey mouse really but totally not needed in the first place. He was just jumping through hoops to satisfy SWA because he had literally 1,000's of customers here. The FAA TSO'd the headset and good ole SWA stonewalls him and refuses to allow it! Even the Bose X aviation designed super duper headset is not TSO'd. Think about that one for a moment.

Did I mention that not one other major/regional/corporate outfit that I know of bans the UflyMike. Heck even AA allows it!

So anyway after SWA gave him the cold shoulder there became a little legal noise from somebody smarter than I about known noise levels in the 737 yada yada next thing you know out of the kindness of their hearts good ole SWA is offering the buy every single pilot a Telex 850 instead of simply allowing the best headset you'll ever own.

Talk about cutting off their nose to spite themselves.

Enough rambling. Bottom line is the Telex would make a great prop in a movie but if you're looking for exceptional sound quality that doubles for a headset/MP3 listening device get yourself a UflyMike adapter.

Gup

Last edited:
Interesting fact: Bose X did not pass TSO impedance requirements and FAA granted them a TSO anyway. A headset that's TSO'd that doesn't meet TSO specs...

I hate my 850. I tried to motify it fit my big ears even, still hate it. I have tried the Ufly and agree that it is the most magnificent peice of equipment in avaition since the windshield.
Only problem, the FAA and NTSB WILL add that as a contributing factor in an accident investigation. Will not matter if you were hit by an astroid, the pilot will have a headset the does not meet complete TSO spec. Thus, part of the lawsuite to follow will include your name and estate address.
Its a true shame Boise dosen't get it. There $1,000.00 headset is crap compared to something someone can make with their equipment. And instead of building one them selves, they just sit and sulk. Then get the FAA to review the TSO certification criteria.

I think the clowns at bozo (Bose) figured out a way to combat the uflymic! I noticed the new qc15 has the audio cord hard-wired into the unit. The unit itself looks identical to the QC2, you just can't pull the cord out, to plug in the uflymic!

I think the clowns at bozo (Bose) figured out a way to combat the uflymic! I noticed the new qc15 has the audio cord hard-wired into the unit. The unit itself looks identical to the QC2, you just can't pull the cord out, to plug in the uflymic!

You based your synopsis on what facts? Looking at a picture? I own the QC15 and the audio cord plugs in and out. The uflymike website clearly states that it is compatible with the QC15.

Anybody look at ditching the clamps for a Clarity Aloft or Quiet Technologies? I've used Bose X for ten years and just bought a QT Halo on Ebay.

Oh, my bad! I guess the demo model I looked at was hard wired!

I trust Fox news before I would trust the mainstream media!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back