• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abernathy

Truthiness
Anyone else have this issue?

I keep the volume HI/LO set on LO because otherwise, the bells and chimes are blaring.

As a trade-off, when I talk on the radio and transmit, I can hardly hear my own voice at all. Over the intercom talking to the CA, I can usually hear my voice OK.

Is there a simple fix to this?

Wear the orange and yellow earplugs. They drown out the white noise and soften the cockpit tones. You will also be able to leave the headset on high as well as hear yourself talk to ATC and the guy in the left seat. I have tried it the other way and the earplugs definitely make it much better.

Good Luck

I guess the other question is why is there such an obsession with side-tone (hearing your own voice)? On panels that had a control for it I used to turn it off, is there some reason you feel the need to hear yourself?

I guess the other question is why is there such an obsession with side-tone (hearing your own voice)? On panels that had a control for it I used to turn it off, is there some reason you feel the need to hear yourself?

The same reason there are monitors at rock concerts. If I cant hear my own voice I totally lose track of what I'm saying. Also when it comes to singing if I cant hear myself through the monitor I'll be out of key/tune.

MEOW!

Latest resources

Back