TCAS for GA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LAXSaabdude

In light of the recent tragic news, I think this may be a timely subject.

Since flying for the airlines, I have become spoiled by TCAS. I am constantly amazed a the amount of traffic that I never see, but is pointed out to me by TCAS.

I know that there are a few budget systems available for GA aircraft. Does anyone have any experience with these systems? What are the pros and cons?

LAXSaabdude.

I don't know what type of budget you would need, but I used to fly a Saratoga and an Arrow with two types of TCAS; both went through the Garmin 530. The Saratoga had "Skywatch" and the Arrow had a version that fed off of ATC radar (Terminal). The Toga's was nice, because it worked all the time and had a range up to 10nm or so, maybe 20, I forget. The Arrow's was nice because it also showed the track of the target, however it only worked when you were near Class C, B airspace. The Skywatch saved me a few times. :)

Google FLARM I understand that is very popular w/sailplane pilots in Europe. If I recall correctly it broadcasts position from gps position to the same units within a couple of miles. Allegedly the manufacturer will not bring it to the US because of liability concerns. Keep those eyes outside folks.

I went from an airline to GA. The best affordable (cheap) system that I have found is the TrafficScope VRX by Surecheck Avionics. It is not as nice as having a real TCAS onboard, but is does make a difference.
www.surecheck.net

FlightTraker

FlightTraker said:
I went from an airline to GA. The best affordable (cheap) system that I have found is the TrafficScope VRX by Surecheck Avionics. It is not as nice as having a real TCAS onboard, but is does make a difference.
www.surecheck.net

FlightTraker
Does the TrafficScope interrogate traffic on its own, or does it rely on ground radar?

LAXSaabdude.

Ryan International markets their TCAD as a cheaper alternative to a TCAS. They are made for piston singles/ twins and turboprops. The company is owned by the origional inventor of the StormScope, Paul Ryan.

FlightTraker said:
LAXSaabdude,

Trafficscope gets it data off of xponders, it also can distinguish between Mode S and regular signals.
OK, thanks. Someone mentioned that some of these devices only function in close proximity to Class B or C radar though. Does the TrafficScope work pretty much anywhere, or do you have to be in a radar environment?

LAXSaabdude.

Dude, to my knowledge, both the Trafficscope and Monroy units are passive only, that is, they listen for replies to ATC radar. That can be long range or terminal radar though, so in the east, they do work most areas above 3500' or so, lower of course, near any terminal radar sites. TIS service, through a Garmin 330 Xponder for example, only works around Mode S terminal radar sites, and I think there's less than 50 of those in the U.S. I have an earlier Monroy unit on the glareshield. It comes with a kit to hardwire into the aircraft's audio panel, but I haven't done that yet. I'd need a separate xponder type antenna and coax as well. I'd really like to do that when I have an extra $400 not already spent on something else more pressing....

Latest resources

Back