• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Taxi to a Runway...Route Specified???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In this day and age of runway incursion awareness and all the bigger problems that could come with them, even when provided taxi clearance to a runway that involves crossing another runway, I always call approaching the intermediate runway with a "crossing runway x" call, just as a reminder to the controller. I really don't care if they're annoyed.

Yeah, I don't really care if a controller is annoyed with me for double checking a clearance either. Pilots invest much more time and money in career training than controllers do. Personally, it took me nearly a decade and a half and a heck of alot of my money to achieve this level of aviation and I'm not going to mess it up now by misreading a clearance and not double checking if I have a doubt. Any controller can go F himself if he is annoyed because I verify a runway crossing. I'm protecting my crew, passengers, and my career. Besides, the FAA is just looking for a reason to violate a pilot anyway.

Taxied out at JFK a few years back behind a FedEx bird headed out to the same runway we were going to. He was given a somewhat complicated taxi routing which involved crossing 31R. When the response came from the ground controller with our clearance, it was basically "do what he does". I responded with "cleared to cross 31R", etc. The controller I guess realized he was perhaps a bit nonchalant with his clearance and sounded a bit chagrined (and definitely not annoyed) when he replied, but especially in a place like that, I don't mess around!

Latest resources

Back