Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Headfake14

646 3A
Hey fellas, anyone claim anything for the cost of a crashpad in anyway?

I do it every year. It's not the rules you break, it's the ones you get away with.

You have to think of it in these terms when it comes to job expenses. If I lived in domicile, what would I be able to deduct as a job expense?

You can't deduct it but taxes are a lot like investing. What is your tolerance for risk?

My sources say "no way."

A crashpad is an optional expense. You always have a choice whether or not you wish to live where you are based. Completely voluntary, and completely non-deductible.
-Not fair to anyone who chooses to live in a less-than-desirable domicile....

It may be allowed if you reasonalbly expected to be in that base for less than a year. Examples would be if you are TDY'd somewhere and your company doesn't pay for a hotel, then it is deductable. Or, if you go to NYC to get the first upgrade and then are awarded another base giving you the reasonable assumption you will be there less than a year, then it might be deductable.

Other than that, you can deduct it and hope you don't get audited. Chances are you will get away with it. LOTS of people write off crap they shouldn't knowing that statistically speaking, you are very unlikely to get audited. Don't forget that if you do get audited and the IRS see's your doing this stuff, they will audit you back three years and nail you hard. If you get caught, you will spend alot more than you are making by including stuff that is not deductable.

Latest resources

Back