• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tax Question for Regional Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No caffeine, but alcohol is ok? Bottle to throttle my friend!

Hi!

I drink some once in awhile. Other than that, I'm about the most anti-drug person in America. I don't take ANYTHING unless the doctor makes me, and that includes tobacco and caffeine.

Legalizing the drugs that are currently "illegal" would go a long way towards curing tons of social problems, including much violent crime and tons of wasted taxpayer monies going to drug interdiction in foreign lands.

The Chief of Police association in the US is FOR legalizing drugs.

"Drugs are dangerous"! Yes, Morphine is "dangerous", but it's not illegal, is it? Is Morphine more dangerous, or pot?

What is the number 1 accidental killer in the US? Drunken drivers. Is alchohol illegal?

I'm with the Libertarians on personal freedoms. Let's let people do stuff, and hold them personally accountable if things go wrong.

cliff
GRB

Airboss said:
Lets say company TAFB is 80 hrs. 80*$1.50(ASA company rate) = 120
$229-$120=$109 on ONE 4 day trip is tax deductable.
Add up the whole year's difference and multiply by 0.75 (transportation industry rate) and that is tax deductable.

Why do you multiply the whole year's difference by .75 to get your actual deduction? I thought you could deduct 100% of the difference...

I've been told we can also deduct internet expenses, since I am required to keep up to date on an internet message board per company policy. I also watch the weather channel before I leave for a trip to get a better idea of weather conditions, so that's deductable too. At least from what I've heard, anybody else hear stuff like this?

75% deduction of meal expenses: IRS publication 463 page 12 left hand column under "individuals subject to "hours of service" limitations"

As far as internet and cell phone deductions, while at this moment I cannot quote verbatim and perhaps someone else could provide chapter and verse, I believe the ability to deduct these type of expenses falls under the test of; the service is neccessary for your employment and your employer does not provide this service to you. So obviously we all need a phone to be contactable but the company doesn't provide one for you so a certain percentage could be deducted as work expense. As far as internet, well most companies provide computers and internet access at work for bidding etc. and technically probably couldn't be deductible.

Last edited:
75% deduction of meal expenses: IRS publication 463 page 12 left hand column under "individuals subject to "hours of service" limitations"

Thank you!!! I downloaded a bunch of those pubs earlier today but I must have missed that part.

ALLOWED WORK RELATED EXPENSES

Union Dues
Sunglasses
Uniforms
Haircuts (required hair length per SPs)
Belts
Dry Cleaning
Starch
Shoe Polish
Shoes
Roller Bag
Chart Protectors
Internet
Cell Phone
Alarm Clock
Batteries
Watch
Pens
Flight Bag
Highlighters
Fax Machine (faxing requests to CS)
Per Diem not reimbursed (difference between GSA alowable rates and company paid perdiem)
Indusrty Publications (Flying, AOPA, etc.)

OTHER DEDUCTIONS

Medical Premiums
Medical Co Payments
Perscriptions
Child care
Education expenses for kids (Full day kindergarten)
Last years tax preparation (turbo tax or accountant)

I could go on and on.

Just remember you can deduct ANYTHING....its just possible to get audited if you go overboard.
IRS allows percentage deductions..i.e use your cell 50% of the time for work, then you can deduct 50% of its cost. Just be able to prove all of these deductions and you will have no problems.

http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/crazytax_1.html
look at these 10 craziest writeoffs.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back